San Siro, Como
San Siro is a town on the western shore of Lake Como (Lago di Como) in the Province of Como (Provincia di Como).
The village was founded in 2003 from the union of the places Acquaseria and Santa Maria Rezzonicco. The name was chosen by a vote among the inhabitants of the places. San Siro is a collection of small villages and hamlets, extending from the shore, until at 1100 m altitude. Part places are, inter alia, Gallio, LaTorre Carcenter.
Today, living in San Siro 1740 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012). In the summer months, the population doubled by the often used by tourists holiday homes.
Church of Santa Maria (XV century), with paintings by Michelangelo Carminati and Sigismondo de Magistris
The parish church of Santa Maria Assunta was built in 1464-1474 for the Dominican monks and dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The church, situated on the shore of the lake, was built on the ruins of the temple dedicated to the Madonna, which was originally a pagan temple. From the exterior facade designed especially the marble church portal with engraved symbols of the Passion is interesting. The interior of the church is also rich in frescoes that have arisen in the 16th century.
Castle of Rezzonico
The castle in the village of Rezzonico was built by the Count Della Torre on the site of an earlier fortification in 1363. Surrounded by a crenellated wall castle encloses an extending up to the lakeside area of over 2,000 square meters and houses next to the central also crenellated tower and residential buildings. The castle is privately owned and not open to visitors. Below the castle there is a small rocky beach.
Adjacent to the church of Santa Maria Assunta in the north are up to 6 m high walls, the remains of an extensive Roman fortress, which is unique in the Province of Como in size. The original footprint of the building covered up to the nearby church of Santa Maria Assunta. The exact significance of the building is not finally resolved. There was concern in all probability to a fastening system for control of trade on the lake and the old trade route Antica Strada Regina.
- Castle ruins at Santa Maria
- Villa Gaeta, architect Gino Coppedè
- Church of Santa Maria Martinico in the district Acquaseria