Sandy River Railroad
The Sandy River Railroad is a former railroad in Maine (United States).
It was founded on April 8, 1879, and built a railway line in 610 mm gauge from Farmington to Phillips. The opening of the 29 -kilometer route was already celebrated on November 20, 1879. In Farmington since 1859 is already a standard gauge railway line towards Portland, operated by the Maine Central Railroad ( MEC). In the Strong range of Franklin and Megantic Railway branched off. The extension of the line on Phillips addition was built and operated by the Phillips and Rangeley Railroad.
On 30 January 1908 the Sandy River Railroad merged with the Franklin and Megantic Railway and the Kingfield and Dead River Railroad together. The new company operated under the name Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Railroad. The route of the former Sandy River Railroad was shut down and dismantled until 1935.
From 1970, there have been efforts by the Phillips Historical Society to rebuild part of the route as a museum railway. A short piece of Phillips may again be driven today.