Sankt Margarethen im Burgenland

  • ÖVP: 14
  • SPÖ: 8
  • FPÖ: 1

St. Margaret in Burgenland is a market town with 2710 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013 ) in Burgenland in the district of Eisenstadt-Umgebung in Austria. The Hungarian name of the village is Szentmargitbánya.

St. Margaret is known for the Bildhauersymposion St. Margaret and the Opera Festival St. Margaret (see ' Regular Events ').

  • 4.1 Demographics


The municipality is located in northern Burgenland, near the state capital of Eisenstadt. St. Margaret in Burgenland is the only place in the community.


Before Christ's birth, the area was part of the Celtic kingdom of Noricum and belonged to the area of the Celtic hillfort castle on the Schwarzenbacher Castle Hill.

Later, under the Romans was the present St. Margaret in the province of Pannonia.

Market town is St. Margaret in Burgenland since 1647th The place belonged, like the rest of Burgenland until 1920/21 Hungary ( German West Hungary). From the year 1867 was the Hungarian name " Szemetmargitbanya ". Since 1898, the name " Margita " had to be used because of Magyarization the government in Budapest.

After the end of World War II German West Hungary was awarded in the Treaties of St. Germain and Trianon in 1919 Austria after tough negotiations. The place belongs since 1921 to the newly founded State of Burgenland (see also history of Burgenland ).

On today's border crossing point between Saint Margaret and Sopronkőhida (Hungary ) was achieved on 19 August 1989 on the edge of the Pan-European Picnic hundreds of East Germans to flee across the then closed border to the West. This event is now widely seen as leading the way for the fall of the Iron Curtain.


  • Roman Quarry: The most famous sight is the Roman quarry in which even St. Margarethen limestone is mined today. Here, among other things, the building material for the St. Stephen's Cathedral, but also later for the construction of many buildings along the Ringstrasse was recovered.
  • Sculptures in the Roman quarry: the Roman quarry are the sculptures that took place ' sculpture symposiums St. Margaret ' has been defined
  • Parish Church: Another attraction in St. Margaret is the Gothic parish church in the core. The present building was completed in 1516. The baroque pulpit made ​​of sandstone dating back to 1795. The church was enlarged in 1959/60. In 1991, reorganization of the sanctuary.
  • Karner: from the 14th century
  • Pillory: 17th century
  • Family Park Lake Neusiedl: the largest amusement park in Austria with 140,000 m²

Regular events

  • Opera Festival St. Margaret: The well-known ' Opera Festival St. Margaret ' are held every year in summer in the disused part of the quarry.
  • Passion Play in the Roman quarry: Around 450 amateur actors and another 200 employees from all ages and professions layers - mainly from St. Margaret - lead in the Roman quarry in 5 - years interval, the ' Passion Play ' on. In 1926, Passion plays were presented in a farm in St. Margaret for the first time.

Since 1961, the natural scenery of the Roman quarry is used for every five years by a performance. In 2001, a total of 70,000 visitors came to 20 match days. The net proceeds of the performances parochial, social and missionary projects are supported. The next Passion Play will be held again in 2016 in the Roman quarry.

  • Bildhauersymposion St. Margaret: In and around the Roman quarry is situated more than 100 sculptures. From 1959 until the 70 years were here, at the initiative of Karl Prantl, sculptor symposia conducted ( European Symposium sculptor ). The Sculpture Symposium in St. Margaret was the initial impetus for a worldwide movement, which was reflected in numerous new sculpture symposia in Europe, America and Asia over the next decades (see also the Sculpture Route ( St. Wendel ) and stones at the border ).


  • Mayor is Edward Scheuhammer of the ÖVP.
  • The distribution of seats (23 seats) in the municipal council is 8 SPÖ, ÖVP and FPÖ 14 1


Coat of arms

Blazon: In a red shield on a green mountain the golden figure of St. Margaret with the golden worm.


Sons and daughters:

  • Paul Koller (1889-1950), civil servant and politician
  • Emmerich Tálos ( b. 1944 ), political scientist and author
  • Josef Altenburger, district school, stonemason and local historian

People with relationship to the city:

  • Karl Prantl (1923-2010), Austrian sculptor, founder of the ' sculpture symposium in St. Margaret '