Sao Hai District

Amphoe Sao Hai ( Thai: อำเภอ เสาไห้ ) is a district ( Amphoe - administrative district ) in the province of Saraburi. The Saraburi Province lies in the Central Region of Thailand.


Neighboring districts ( from north-west clockwise): Amphoe Ban Mo, Amphoe Phra Phutthabat, Amphoe Phra Kiat Chaloem, Amphoe Mueang Saraburi, Amphoe Nong Saeng Province Saraburi and Amphoe Tha Ruea Ayutthaya province.

The main water resource of the county is the Pasak River.


From military - tactical reasons, ordered King Maha Chakkraphat 1549 that some areas of Mueang Nakhon Nayok Lopburi and were separated to create Mueang Saraburi.

A district administration has historically been mentioned for the first time in Sao Hai, Tambon Sala Lao Li. In 1896, the management of the Mueang Saraburi has been officially moved to Tambon Pak Phriaw, Amphoe Mueang Saraburi. At the same time the administration in Sao Hai office was moved to Tambon Suan Dokmai, three years later to the Tambon Sao Hai near the Chao Poo shrine. 1924 donated the owner of the Sao Hai - market 12,800 m² of land about 500 meters from the former location, so there the new administrative building of the district as well as a police station could be built.

The name of the district of Sao Hai literally means Weeping column, this refers to a local legend. At that time the city pillar was built by Bangkok, the king asked for the most beautiful pillar of the whole country in order to place them in the capital. The column from Saraburi was almost perfect, but it only reached the capital, after the choice of the main column had already been made ​​, so that they could be only of secondary importance. This made the column very sad, and she swam across the Chao Phraya and the Pasak River back to Saraburi where it sank in the river. Residents of a nearby village heard the crying of the column, hid them, and they built in their village, which gives the entire rural county gave the name. Today is the column in the Chao Mae Takhian Tong Shrine within the temple Wat Sung near the administration building of the Sao Hai District.


  • Wat Samuha Pradittharam ( วัด สมุห ประดิ ษ ฐา ราม ) - Buddhist temple ( Wat ) in Tambon Suan Dokmai on the banks of the Pasak with interesting wall paintings in ubosot. Every year in November and December, boat races are held on the river at this temple.


Amphoe Sao Hai is divided into twelve subdistricts (tambon ), divide further into 103 villages ( Muban ).

There are three small towns ( thesaban tambon) in the district of Sao Hai and Ban Yang each consist of parts of the tambon same name, Suan Dokmai consists of the whole tambon Suan Dokmai.

There are also twelve " Tambon Administrative Organizations" (TAO, องค์การ บริหาร ส่วน ตำบล - administrative organizations).


Luis hamlet was convened in 1893 as section engineer for the expansion of the East line of the Thai railway, the so-called " Koratbahn " to Siam. " Koratbahn " hamlet called the route of Ayutthaya via Saraburi to Kaeng Khoi and Hinlap, and on to Korat ( Nakhon Ratchasima ). His first job in Saraburi he still reached by boat across the Pasak River. On the way there he passed Sao Hai, which he noted in his diary as follows:

" About four clock we passed Saraburi. From here ... the water was shallow. A little later we ran straight in front of a Wat aground. I decided to rest here for the night. The Wat was called Wat Chung. ... The next morning, on March 4, 1893 by 5 clock I got up and the journey continued. After half an hour we passed the village Sauhai. The river is quite narrow and obstructed by floating homes here, so we had to go over directly to the houses and could see into their deepest secrets. The houses are for the most power to open. "