Saxon-Sion is a commune with 73 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2011 ) in the department of Meurthe -et -Moselle in the Lorraine region.
The place is located in the southwestern corner of the Meurthe -et -Moselle, about five kilometers south of Vézelise. The landscape around Saxon-Sion is named Saintois.
The area was the settlement area of the Celtic tribe of Leuker. The Gallo- Roman name of the area was Pagus Seuntensis, the village was called Seuntum, resulting Scionsz and finally Sion was.
Saxon - Sion hotel is on the north end of the " holy mountain of Lorraine ", the Colline de Sion ( Sion Hill ). Originally a Celtic place of worship, was from the 4th century, Mary, the mother of Jesus, worshiped on the hill. Crusaders should have given the hill the name Zion.
On the hill are the Basilica of " Our Lady of Sion " ( Monument historique ) and a 45 meter high tower, on which rises a highly visible 7 -meter-high statue of the Virgin Mary.
The hill of Sion has encouraged the writer Maurice Barres to his novel " La colline inspirée " (1913). A column on the hill reminded of the writer.