SBB-CFF-FFS Ae 4/7
Not least thanks to the designed by Jakob Buchli Buchli drive was one of the most durable engines. She pulled during seven decades, from the 1920s to the 1990s, passenger and freight trains in Switzerland.
- 3.1 scrapped
- 3.2 fate
- 3.3 life
For the lowland (which slopes on the route to twelve per mil corresponds ) was needed in the 1920s stronger locomotives. The existing locomotives with three driving axles were a little too weak for slopes. Since you had a positive experience with the predecessor Ae 3/6I and the Buchli drive used there, the SBB ordered in 1925 two prototypes of the Ae 4 / 7th Subsequently, a total of 127 Ae 4/7 were delivered 1927-1934.
While the mechanical part was produced by the SLM, there were in the electrical construction three types, since in each case a series of Brown Boveri & Co. ( BBC ) ( 10901-10916, 10932-10938, 10952-10972, 11003-11008 and 11018-11027 ), the Maschinenfabrik Oerlikon ( MFO ) ( 10917-10918 and 10973-11002 ) and Société anonymous Atelier de Sécheron ( SAAS ) ( 10939-10951 and 11109-11017 ) was produced. The locomotives were built by MFO 10919-31, but equipped with BBC -stage switches.
The locomotive has four drive axles and three drive axles. For each drive axle exists a single drive motor. The torque of the engine is transmitted to the axles in the proven Buchli drive. It is characteristic of the Buchli drive that completely obscured on one Lokhälfte, the drive side, and the wheels are free of cost on the other, the devices page.
The locomotives were painted green (known as SBB Green).
On the side with the transformer ( directly behind the cab I) was a two-axle bogie mounted on the other side, however, a salmon bites. The four drive axles are rigidly mounted. Therefore, the middle two drive axles have received a larger page game For Their curve. Originally the locomotives were 10901, 10913-33 and 10943-11017 equipped with a so-called Java - frame, ie they had the wheel arrangement 2'Co (A1 ' ).
The Ae 4/7 is similar, except for the additional drive axle, both visually and in construction of the series Ae 3/6I, but has also experienced significant developments in the electrical part.
As mentioned above, there are three variants of the electrical construction. The MFO locomotives were given a very fast operating hopper control. The SAAS -hopper control could not be switched on at any speed, in contrast to the MFO -hopper control. The escapement mechanism limited the Aufschaltgeschwindigkeit. In contrast, the BBC locomotives had a flat track position switch.
The second series of the MFO locomotives has an electric brake. The locomotives of the SAAS were provided from 1963 onwards with a multiple unit control, the others had no life Vielfachsteuerung.
With the start of the delivery, the Ae 4/7 were used in all of Switzerland, fast trains. In 1930 she also took on the express trains on the Gotthard. They were as universal locomotives everywhere.
In the 1940s, they were easily harassed by the Re 4/4I in the lowlands traffic. End of the 1950s, the Ae 4/7 was withdrawn from the Gotthard, because the Ae 6/6 took over this prestigious task. 1960 received four Ae 4 /7 ( 10948-10951 ) ÖBB a pantograph, so that they have the international trains from St.Margrethen - could pull Lindau - Bregenz.
End of the 1960s, they were pushed back in the fast trains of the newly inserted Re 4/4II. With the installation of multiple unit control the Ae 4/7 took over from now on also heavy freight.
Not a lot of times controlled Ae 4/7 conducted primarily regional trains and light freight trains. 1993, 66 years after her first delivery, they were to be found in regional trains mainly in eastern Switzerland. You could watch before some express trains. You forgave the Ae 4/7 with regard to use over the next millennium even the UIC numbers Ae 497000-497027 and 497901-497 999
The first locomotive of this series was scrapped because of poor condition in 1983. 1990 were still about 100 of originally 127 in operation. On 1 January 1995 there were 72 locomotives. The actual scrapping began in 1995 - for many connoisseurs surprisingly, was not yet certified the early 1990s by the SBB that they would run up to the year 2000 on. With the use of the Re 460 locomotives, there were more than necessary, so that the Ae 4/7 were redundant. A year later, all were scrapped and many of them already dismantled. The last timetabled use of an Ae 4/7 for SBB was in 1996 with a freight train performance.
The locomotives Nos. 10905 ( Depot Rorschach ) and 10976 ( Depot Lausanne) have been preserved as operational, historic vehicles at SBB and now include the Heritage Foundation (SBB Historic). About 18 machines in all three electric versions (BBC, MFO, SAAS ) came to several individuals who are members of the Association Swiss Train. Most of these locomotives are not brought to operational. So is about 10951 on a siding in Sulgen station in the canton of Thurgau.
In January and February 2007, two Ae 4/7, the 10950, built in 1931, and 11010, built in 1932, reactivated and received after the installation of an automatic train control system, the registration on the Swiss rail network. Since 28 February 2008 they drive commercial services for Rail4chem, but it seems to have been given only a single use.
The locomotive 10997 belongs Serge Bourguinet and Sven Mafli that offer Cab rides on the Gotthard with this locomotive.
The Ae 4/7 were at SBB 1927-1996, ie For 69 years in operation. Surpassed they have been in the line locomotives so far only by the machinery of the previous series Ae 3/6I which perverted 1921-1994, ie 73 years.