Schinznach-Bad (Swiss German: ʃɪnts ˌ nɑχ pɑd ) is a municipality in the district of Brugg in the canton of Aargau. The municipality, which was called until 1938 Birrenlauf, due to the sulphurous thermal source has a great tourist importance. Sometimes the community name is written without the hyphen ( for example, in the official community register of Switzerland from 1986 ). Since 2003, the version will be hyphenated as officially correct spelling.
The village is situated on the right bank of the Aare River, halfway between Lenzburg and Brugg. The Aare River forms the western boundary of the municipality. When hydroelectric power plant northwest of the village center, the Aare river divides into two arms. In between lies the four kilometers long and an average of 150 meters wide chess island that stretches as far as Brugg; Schinznach bath itself has no part in this island formed by alluvial sediment. The eastern boundary of the municipality is formed by the steep slopes of the mountain joke and Eihalden. In the narrow, dominated by floodplain riparian strips, the village extends over a length of approximately two kilometers.
The area of the municipality is 190 hectares, of which 74 hectares are covered by forest and built over 86 hectares. The highest point is the mountain on 508 meters joke, the deepest at 340 meters on the river Aare.
Neighboring municipalities are Villnachern in the north, Brugg in the northeast, Habsburg and frolic in the East, Holder Bank in the south and Schinznach in the West.
The first mention of Birrenlauf how the church used to be called, goes back to the year 1064. At that time the Habsburg overwritten the farms in Biralophon the Muri Abbey, which is now exercised the spiritual sovereignty. The village name comes from the Old High German (ze ) bircholoufeon and means " at the Birch waterfalls ." The village belonged to Eigenamt, the oldest possession of the Counts of Habsburg, whose headquarters is just a few kilometers away. 1397 they transferred the basic and court rule to the monastery Königsfelden in Windisch. 1415 conquered the city of Bern western Aargau and added the Eigenamt their subject territories in the Bernese Aargau to. After the Reformation in 1528, the monastery was secularized Königsfelden, whereupon Bern converted the Eigenamt in the bailiwick Königsfelden and now exercised all the rights.
In 1654 it was discovered in the municipality of Schinznach a sulfur spring, which was, however, buried by a flood in 1670. The Schinznacher source was rediscovered in 1691, but this time on the right Aareseite at Birrenlauf. Created numerous buildings for the cure in the sequence. The new spa was named after Schinznach anyway. The spa was 1761 birthplace of the Helvetic Society, which strove for a radical change in the existing power structures. In March 1798 it was done: The French conquered Switzerland, the disempowered " Gracious gentlemen " of Bern and proclaimed the Helvetic Republic. The community has since been to the Canton of Aargau.
However, the political turmoil had little influence on the cure, which continues to flourish. Many guests who came to " Schinznach Bad " to were not aware that they actually resided in the municipality Birrenlauf. When a station called Schinznach bath was opened on 15 May 1858 and the post was later followed this example, this often led to confusion. For this reason, the church officially named in 1938 in Schinznach -Bad to, while the original Schinznach the addition of " village " received. In 1952 at the southern end of the island chess a hydroelectric power plant. During the 20th century, the population has increased almost tenfold.
On April 5, 2009, the voters of Schinznach -Bad approved a proposed merger with the neighboring communities Oberflachs, Schinznach village and Villnachern the new community Schenkenberg. The merger still did not materialize because Veltheim she refused. The then iniziirte fusion project without Veltheim failed in a ballot on 25 October 2009, when the voters of Villnachern rejected the project.
In the thermal pools partially buildings have survived from the early years of the Kurbetriebs. The then owner and source Münster builder Samuel Jenner left in 1696 to build a guest house, 1703/ 04 came a running parallel counterpart. Both buildings were 1706/ 08 joined together by a cross wing. 1824/27 added the architect Hans Conrad Stadler to a semi-circular rotunda in the classical style. The park includes the spa chapel built in 1881, which was extended with donations of spa guests and the interior is decorated in Baroque surreal. The gardens were designed by Evariste Mertens.
Coat of arms
The blazon of the municipal coat of arms is: " Azure, three white waves rising yellow crescent, beseitet of two five-pointed yellow stars. » The municipality Birrenlauf how Schinznach bath used to be called, conducted since 1872 on the municipal seal of a coat of arms, the one a ferryman on Holly rowing boat was accompanied by two pears. Since the design of heraldic point of view was questionable and not in any case consistent with the new name of the municipality, in 1952 a new crest was introduced. The waves symbolize the Aare, during the half moon and the stars the popular etymological location name interpretation " schint supper " ( shining in the night ) result.
On December 31, 2013 1208 people lived in Schinznach bath, the proportion of foreigners was 29.1 %. At the 2000 census, 40.5% were reformed, 27.7 % Roman Catholic, 7.6 % Orthodox Christian and 7.1% Muslim; 1.2% belonged to other faiths. 80.8 % identified German as their main language, Serbo-Croatian 5.6%, Albanian 2.5%, 2,0 % Italian and Turkish, 1.8% Spanish, 1.1% French.
Politics and Law
The Assembly of the voters, the municipal assembly, shall exercise the legislative power. Executive authority is the five-member council. His term of office is four years and he was elected in Majorzverfahren ( majority voting procedure) by the people. He leads and represents the community. To this end, he implements the decisions of the municipal assembly and the tasks that were assigned to him by the cantonal and federal.
For litigation, the District Court Brugg is responsible. Schinznach bath is part of the justice of the peace circle Windisch AG.
In Schinznach bath there are operating according to Census 2008 about 1,250 jobs, of which 11 % in industry and 89 % in the service sector. The economic events is dominated by the thermal spa, which is located approximately one kilometer north of the village center. This includes the private clinic " In The Park ", the rehabilitation clinic " aarReha ", a SPA, the original thermal baths, the modern leisure pool Aquarena, a large park and a 9 - hole golf course. Another major employer is AMAG, the largest car importer in Switzerland ( all brands of the Volkswagen Group ).
The busy main road 5, the most direct connection between Brugg in the north and in the southwest of Aarau ( approximately 10,000 to 15,000 vehicles per day), passes through the village in north-south direction. The A3 motorway crosses about two kilometers north of the village the river Aare. By Schinznach bath runs one of the east-west main lines of the SBB. At the station, hold regional trains running to Aarau, Brugg and Baden.
The municipality has a kindergarten and a primary school. The junior high school and the secondary school can be visited in Veltheim ( 1st / 2nd class) and Schinznach Village ( 3 / 4 class), the school district also in Schinznach village. The nearest Canton schools ( high schools ) are located in Aarau, Baden and betting rings. On the Thermal site is located since 1991 a training center for physiotherapy.