Schwabbruck is a community in the Upper Bavarian district of Weilheim -Schongau and a member of the administrative community Old Town.


Schwabbruck is located in the uplands to the west of the city of Schongau on the border between Swabians and Bavarians in Jungmoränengebiet north of the Allgäu Alps. North of the village is the Sachsenrieder forest together with the Denklinger forest one of the largest contiguous forest areas in Upper Bavaria.

There is only the district Schwabbruck.


In 8/9 Century the kingdom Monastery St. Mang in Füssen was equipped with royal Fiskalgut east of Sachsenried. From about 1070 the bailiwick was the monastery belonged to the Guelphs, who were able to build a closed territory on Lechrain.

The place name is first grasped in 1126 by the mention of Guelph porter narrowness bad " Brugge ". The residence of this family lay northwest of the town in the hallway " Bruck plate" ( from Postal ). The castle was built around 1100 to protect what was then a bridge built over the Schoenach, after which the water castle and the village was named. The water crossing was created as part of the planned expansion of its important military road between Augsburg and Verona. This road connection probably goes back to ancient, pre-Roman path connections.

Until 1716 the village was mentioned in the foreland of the Allgaeu Alps, Brugg, Bruck, Prugk or similar. The current name " Schwabbruck " is common only since 1802. The people call their home, however, to the present day usually " Brugg ".

Schwabbruck belonged to the secularization of the Bishopric of Augsburg, who had taken over in 1313, the bailiwick of the monastery of St. Mang. 1785 became the diocese of Electorate of Bavaria by exchanging the high court. Since Reichsdeputationshauptschluss and the secularization of 1803, the community belongs to Bavaria. Today's church was built with the municipality edict of 1818.

Population Development

The population figures are based on the current municipal area.



Social insurance contributions at town there were a total 8989th In the manufacturing sector in 1999 there were none, in the construction industry 55 companies. In addition, in 1999, there were 524 farms with an agricultural area of 5969ha. Of these hectares of arable land and 569 ha of permanent grassland.


There are the following facilities (as of 1999):

  • Kindergarten: 50 kindergarten places with 38 children