Segni (in Latin Signia ) is a municipality with 9125 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) in the province of Rome in the Italian region of Lazio.
- 4.1 Coat of Arms
- 4.2 twin city
Segni is 58 km southeast of Rome and 40 km northwest of Frosinone. Situated on the edge of the Monti Lepini on a ridge above the valley of the Sacco. The municipal area extends 187-1378 m asl, on Mount Lupone. The municipality consists of the villages of Pantano, Pietra Falla, Recchia and Torre Santi which are in the valley.
Segni is a member of the Comunità Montana Monti Lepini. The municipality is located in the seismic zone 2 (medium endangered).
The territory of Segni is from the strada regional Carpinetana (SR 609), which runs from Colle Ferro Saccotal after Priverno in the Pontine plain, traversed. The nearest motorway exit is Colle Ferro on the A1 Autostrada del Sole, 11 km away.
The municipality is crossed by the high-speed line Rome-Naples without stopping. The nearest train station Colle Ferro - Segni - Paliano in Colle Ferro - Scalo at the Roma- Cassino - Napoli lies 9 km away.
Segni, the ancient Signia, goes back to a settlement of the Volscians. The Roman king Tarquinius Superbus said to have founded 513 BC Here is a colony. 89 BC Signia municipium what the abbreviation SPQS ( Senatus Populusque Signinus ) was used. In ancient Roman times, the city was in a strategic position on the Saccotal a thriving community, but which has been hit hard by the Gothic wars in the 6th century affected. Subsequently, it became part of the patrimony of St. Peter. In the 12th and 13th centuries it was repeatedly residence of popes. Sixtus V in 1585 it rose to the Duchy. Segni in 1870 became part of the Kingdom of Italy.
Stefano Corsi (civic list Impegno e Cambiamento by Segni ) was elected in June 2009 for the mayor. He replaced Renato Cacciotti (center -left ) (since 2004), who did not run.
Coat of arms
On a red shield a silver castle, about a golden griffin, including the letters SPQS, edged with a ribbon with the motto " Signia Civitas prima colonia Romanorum ".
- Mykines Greece, Ancient Mycenae
The population of Segni is majority-owned by the Roman Catholic Church. The Diocese of Segni was founded in the 5th century and 1981, united with the diocese of Velletri.
- The Co-Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta was built in the 17th century to the previous church from the 10th century. The neoclassical facade dates from Valadier.
- The city wall of Cyclopean from the 6th century BC is still in good condition.
- The church of San Pietro (13th century) was built in the cella of the temple of Juno Moneta (. 3rd-2nd century BC). Around them there are the remains of the Acropolis.
- The Archaeological Museum ( Museo archeologico ) shows findings from the 2500 year old history of Segni.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Vitalian († January 27 672, Rome), Pope
- Cardinal Vincenzo Fagiolo ( * 1918, † 2000), Cardinal
- Angelo Cardinal Felici (* 1919, † 2007), Cardinal
- Pericle Felici Cardinal (* 1911, † 1982), Cardinal