Soap is a municipality in the district of Old Churches ( Westerwald) in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality Flammersfeld.
Soaps lies about 3 km southeast of Flammersfeld and 5 km north- west of powder stream in Holzbachtal, connected to the national road network by the provincial road 267. The district lies in the nature of soaps Rhine-Westerwald.
To the municipality of soaps, the districts are still low ears (9 houses) and the train station soaps with 3 houses.
The annual rainfall is 929 mm. Rainfall is high. They are located in the upper quarter of the detected values in Germany. At 80 % of the stations of the German Weather Service lower values are registered. The driest month is February, the most rainfall comes in December. In December, falling 1.4 times more precipitation than in February. Precipitation varies little and are evenly distributed throughout the year. At only 24% of the monitoring stations, lower seasonal swings are recorded.
Soaps is in the area south of the middle and win the vernacular already Middle High German term for a Siefen. In geography, a Siefen is the name for a water-bearing valley. He points to a settlement from the period around 1000. 1935 Krug and shards were found during the construction of a house, give evidence of a settlement of the district in the 10th century. The name Castle Hill, moat, castle cellar, Burgau, existing at a reflowed from Wood Creek rocky spur, leave here suggest a Fliehburg. In its history, the region was part of the Carolingian period to the Gaugrafen of Engers, and later to the county of Sayn and 1636-1799 to the county of Sayn- Hachenburg. Until 1806 the town then was under the rule of the Prince of Nassau -Weilburg. 1806 came the two princes of Nassau in the Napoleonic Confederation of the Rhine, so that the region of 1806 belonged to the Duchy of Nassau. Because of the Congress of Vienna (1815 ) agreements the territory of the former saynischen counties of the Kingdom of Prussia was ceded. Under the Prussian administration soaps of the mayoralty Flammersfeld was assigned to the newly built district of Old churches that belonged from 1822 to the Rhine province.
1884 the area was opened up by the railway, so that soap was later than Erzverladestelle to a rather significant station. The corridor designation Silberkaul points to the mining industry, which ended with the Fortuna mine in 1886. 1892 received soaps own school, which is, however, no longer preserved. The railway line was closed shortly before her 100th anniversary for the passenger. Today twice daily operates a freight train from the Old Churches by Hedwigsthal, a district of Raubach.
The development of the population of soaps, the values from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:
The local council in soaps consists of six council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 by majority vote, and the honorary mayor as chairman.
In soaps, there is still a full- agricultural employment and a part-time farming, the farm about 44 hectares. 1975, there were eight companies for 115 ha of floor space.
→ List of cultural monuments in soaps ( Westerwald)