The municipality covers about 86 km ². The municipality is situated approximately 50 km south-east of Perugia on the river Vigi. In the district Orsano springs from the river Menotre. The municipality is located in the climatic classification of Italian communities in the zone E, 2312 GR / G
The districts ( Frazioni ) are Apagni, Cammoro, Ceseggi, Molini di Cammoro, Monte Santo, Orsano, Piaggia, Postignano, Pupaggi and Villamagina.
- Cammoro, the district at 958 meters above sea level with about 20 inhabitants.
- Monte Santo, the district at 743 meters above sea level with about 10 inhabitants. Is located about 8 km from the main town.
- Pupaggi, the district at 845 meters above sea level, is a 7 km east of the capital.
- Renaro, the district at 900 meters above sea level, is located about 13 km from the main town.
The first settlements in urban areas probably originated in Roman times, when the town was founded as Vicus. About the names of origin, there are two theories. The first was created by the work Naturalis Historia by Pliny the Elder to 79 AD. In the third book he writes of the gene or the Suilla Syllinates. The second theory comes from the 17th century and was created by the Italian historian Ludovico Jacobilli (* June 13, 1598 in Rome, † March 13, 1664 in Foligno ), which returns the local name of the Roman generals Lucio Cornelio Silla. After Silla founded the place 84 BC on the retreat after the Battle of Spoleto. After the rule of the Lombards, the town was under the Count of Spoleto, then those of Norcia, then, at the end of the 12th century, the town of Alviano. In the 13th century the town was under Spoleto and the Papal State again in the 14th century it was a fief of the Colligola family from what is now the district of Monte Santo. After the unification of Italy, the population of about 2550 rose to approximately 3220 in 1921. Thereafter the population level dropped to 2001 to about 1200 inhabitants. In 1997, the city experienced a major earthquake, which severely damaged the historic town center. Here, the Santa Maria Assunta church was heavily damaged and destroyed the clock tower of the town hall, but later rebuilt.
- Chiesa di San Francesco, also called Madonna della Croce church from 1538 in the main town.
- Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista, church from the 15th century in the district Renaro
- Chiesa di Santa Lucia church from the 16th century in the district Renaro
- Chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta church from the 13th century in the main town.
- Chiesa di San Sebastiano church in the district Pupaggi with frescoes from the 14th century.
- Chiesa di San Paterniano, church from the 14th century in the district Cammoro