The municipality covers 26 km ². The municipality is situated approximately 38 km north-east of Perugia, on the border region of Marche in the climatic classification of Italian communities in the zone E, 2287 GR / G. The town is near the Monte Cucco ( 1566 meters altitude) on the historic Via Flaminia and today Strada Statale 3 Via Flaminia and is part of the Comunità montana the Alto Chiascio.
Among the districts ( Frazioni ) include (also called Villa Scirca, height 505 meters, about 100 inhabitants, located on the eponymous river ) Fontemaggio, Val di Ranco and Scirca.
The place was called by the Romans Suillium. He was a municipium in Regio VI Umbria ( Umbria Region 6 ) of Regioni dell'Italia augustea. During the Gothic wars of the place of Totila was almost completely destroyed and then rebuilt by the Lombards again. In the middle of the 6th century sigillo became part of the Byzantine Empire, after their defeat reached the place 751 under the rule of the Counts of Spoleto. From 996, the village belonged to the feudal system of Otto III. , Who gave the place to the counts Conti di Vico Fossato di Vico from Fossato di Vico to manage. In the 13th century it was under the influence of Gualdo Cattaneo, Gubbio and Perugia, with Perugia in 1274 prevailed, the place led and built the fortress. After the Peace of Bologna in 1370 the town was under the Papal States, but soon returned under the rule of Perugia, where the congregation remained until the 18th century and took at the beginning of the 15th century on its side against Braccio da Montone. From 1809 to 1814, the time of Napoleon Bonaparte, it belonged to the department Trasimene and then came back in 1816 the Papal States, in which it remained until September 16, 1860 and then came in the wake of the Risorgimento Italy.
- Chiesa di Sant'Andrea Apostolo Church Parish in the town center
- Chiesa di Sant'Agostino Church in the town center, was built between 1788 - 1791 over the older church Chiesa di Santa Caterina, from the crypt still exists. If the canvas painting Annunciation dell'Insigne of locally born artist Ippolito Borghesi, who created the work in 1616.
- Chiesa di Sant'Anna, even Oratorio Sant'Anna di Chiesa del Cimitero or (cemetery church) called, contains frescoes by Matteo da Gualdo. The facade dates from 1507.
- Chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta church in the district Scirca containing by Matteo da Gualdo the 1484 resulting fresco Madonna del Gonfalon.
- Ponte Etrusco (also called Ponte dei Pietroni ) is located 2.5 km north of the city on the Via Flaminia and was built in the 3rd century.
- (Also called Spiano ) Ponte Romano, 3.2 meter long Roman bridge over the river Fonturci located 2 km north of the city on the Via Flaminia near the hamlet Scirca. The bridge was built in the 1st century.
- Santuario della Madonna Assunta in Cielo (also called Santa Maria di Montecupo ), Sanctuary in the district Scirca from the 12th century campanile from the year 1250 Includes works by Ottaviano Nelli. ( Gubbio, 1375-1444 ).