Simat de la Valldigna
Simat de la Valldigna is a village in the Valencia region of Spain.
Simat de la Valldigna located in the comarca of Safor, about 50 km south of Valencia and 20 km from Cullera and Gandia. It is one of four villages of Valldigna in a natural area, which is surrounded by the mountains of the Serra de Corbera north and the south Montduver.
Since Simat de la Valldigna located in the center of a valley and is surrounded by mountains, the weather is very mild. Nonetheless Simat has besides some parts of the Safor and the Marina Alta, the highest rainfall in the region.
The region around Simat de la Valldigna has been inhabited since prehistoric times. The show caves of Bolomor in Tavernes de la Valldigna, and Medalletes and Parpalló Barx. First mentioned is the place at times of the Moorish occupation. In the 13th century James I Simat de la Valldigna recaptured, and his grandson James II gave the land to the Cistercian Order.
Initially, Christians and Muslims lived together in the field of Valldigna. The Muslims were allowed to practice their religion on. The Muslims from the Valldigna gathered in the Mosque of La Xara, to pray. Here the Muslim children went to school, contracts were made and litigated against Muslim judges. This coexistence ended in 1609 with the expulsion of Muslims from Spain. Life in Valldignatal has long been dominated by the monastery of Santa María de la Valldigna. That ended in 1835, when all were occupied monastery in Spain by the State ( disentailment in Spain). The rule of the monastery and the abbot ended over the valley and its people. The monastery was private property. Only in 1991 it bought back the Regional Government of Valencia region.
- Monastery of Santa María de la Valldigna: The old Cistercian monastery was the purchase by the Valencian regional government in 1991 an abandoned ruin and restored to working order.
- Route of the Monasteries of Valencia
- Mosque of La Xara or Hermitage of Saint Anne. There is a small hermitage, which is located in the middle of orange groves. It is the only remaining building of the old village of La Xara, which was abandoned in 1609 after the expulsion of the Muslims. The building is rectangular and there is an eastern door with a horseshoe arch. The building is shared by four columns into three naves. The Qibla is the most important element because it shows the direction of Mecca. Nowadays, you can also see the mihrab and two side doors on the wall of the qibla. Outside the mosque there is an old ablution fountain.
- Church of the Archangel Michael. It is the present parish church. It was built in Baroque style. Is particularly worth a statue of Saint Michaels.
- The Font Gran (Eng. Large Fountain ) is located in the square with the same name within the village. It is a source with a large Waßerbassin. Here begins on October 9 of each year a promenade.
The village is dominated by agriculture. In particular, citrus fruits are grown. To market the oranges there are two cooperatives, in which many inhabitants of the village work. But many immigrants, especially from Eastern Europe to work in Simat as Orangenernter, as many young people work outside the village.