Sint -Pieters -Leeuw ( unofficial French name: Leeuw -Saint -Pierre ) is a Belgian municipality in Pajottenland in the province of Flemish Brabant. It comprises the following parts of Sint -Pieters- Leeuw, Oudenaken, Ruisbroeck, Vlezenbeek and Sint -Laureins - Berchem.
Origin of the name
The name component -Leeuw is derived from the Germanic hlaiwa, which translates as "hill" means. The addition Sint -Pieters- refers to the original function of the Chapter of St. Peter in Cologne.
Coat of arms
The colors red and white are a reference to the red and white coat of arms of Cologne. The upright red lion is a symbol of pride and already appeared on the previous sealing the Leeuwer court. The original coat of arms from 1819 has been added to the green key as a symbol of Simon Peter in the merger in 1977, the five teeth stand for the five boroughs.
The oldest known text about Leeuw is a deed of gift with a Brabant lady named Angela gave the place to the chapter of St. Peter in Cologne from September 819. The former area of Leeuw handed according to the description in the deed of Anderlecht and Dilbeek to hall and was limited by the Senne and the old " Brabantsebaan ". This included Leeuw also Itterbeek and Sint- Anna- Pede, which now belong to Dilbeek. Not much is known about the giver Angela. It is thought that it could have been an abbess of Nivelles or a person authorized to gift sister, but her name appeared in the lists former abbots and abbesses not.
The Cologne chapter kept Sint -Pieters -Leeuw not last long. The Counts of Leuven, who still claimed to be merely as " advocate " of the churches in the 11th century, were soon on the protector to the owner of the Cologne lands. Cologne, however, was to much too far away to maintain an efficient administration. After the Gregorian reform developments to end the dependence of ecclesiastical institutions were set by the civil authorities in motion, the Counts of Leuven Sint -Pieters -Leeuw to the Bishop of Cambrai, in the possession of the church remained until the mid-16th century, before she went over to the newly founded diocese of Ghent.
From the 12th century Leeuw owned by the Dukes of Brabant, after having previously located in the Carolingian period in the Gau Brabant. In the 14th and 15th centuries Leeuw was a relatively densely populated area, in particular the churches today Leeuw, Vlezenbeek, Itterbeek and Ruisbroeck. Leeuw was thus indeed one of the largest communities of Brabant, but was still lack of leaders never become a significant place. These circumstances allowed the dukes of Brabant in 1236 Leeuw and Lennik to the land of Gaasbeek put together, what then ruled by the Counts of Leuven.
During the Middle Ages Leeuw was the seat of an important regional court, which (now part of municipality Pepingen ) exercised jurisdiction in Vlezenbeek, Sint- Laureins - Berchem, Oudenaken and Elingen. There was also a court of appeal for smaller Schöffengerichte the region.
The Lords of Leeuw
When the country of Gaasbeek disintegrated in 1687 Sint -Pieters -Leeuw came into the possession of the Roose family, who resided in the castle Leeuwer. Jean -Charles Roose, a cavalry captain in the Spanish service, was the first " Heer van Leeuw ". He was appointed on 20 December 1690 Baron of Sint -Pieters -Leeuw. In 1704 he died without wife and children to leave and his brother Ambroise died in 1720 unmarried. Barony Castle and therefore went over to the youngest brother Philippe, who died in 1751. His daughter, Eugénie († 1762) was married to Charles Alexandre Vital Coloma (* 1718 in Mechelen, † 1758 in Brussels), Chamberlain of the Empress Maria Theresa of Austria. Coloma was undoubtedly the most famous inhabitants of the castle, which has since been called the " Castle Coloma ".
Since the children Coloma all died very young, castle and barony fell to his niece, Rose Alexandrine Coloma, even Baroness of Moriensart. She married Count van der Dilft, who later became mayor of Brussels. The marriage produced three children, of whom the eldest, Count Jean -Marie -Joseph van der Dilft (1745-1831), as Baron of Sint -Pieters -Leeuw succeeded. Jean -Marie -Joseph van der Dilft was chamberlain of Emperor Joseph II and then by King William I of the Netherlands.
His son, Count Antoine van der Dilft was the next Baron of Sint -Pieters -Leeuw. In 1870 he married the nineteen year old daughter of a Dutch minister. From this marriage only one daughter, the Countess Antoinette van showed the Dilft ( 1872-1947 ). The Gender van der Dilft died with her death because their marriage remained childless Count Albert de Limburg- Stirum. After the earl died in 1931, Antoinette van adopted the Dilft 1943 her nephew, Count Thierry de Limburg- Stirum, for its part, Mayor of Huldenberg. Therefore After her death he took over the title and castle. He was succeeded by one of his sons from his marriage to Princess Marie de Croy, Count Christian de Limburg- Stirum. He eventually sold the castle grounds to the Flemish Community and the castle to the church Sint -Pieters -Leeuw.
In French, the congregation was in the 1815 Dijledepartment, in the province of South Brabant, 1831 in the province of Brabant and since 1995 in the province of Flemish Brabant.
Sint -Pieters -Leeuw is officially a purely Dutch-speaking community, but also houses - especially in the part of congregation Ruisbroeck and in the quarter Negenmanneke - an important French-speaking minority.
Buildings and monuments
- The center at the Gothic St. Peter's Church
- The moated castle Coloma, now the Cultural Center of the Municipality
- The largest rose garden in Western Europe with about 60,000 rose bushes and over 3000 different rose varieties
- In Sint -Pieters -Leeuw is the tallest building in Belgium, the TV Tower Sint -Pieters -Leeuw
Sons and daughters of the town
- Jan van Ruysbroek (1293-1381), Flemish -writing theologian and mystic
- John Malderus (1563-1633), fifth Bishop of Antwerp
- Roger van Overstraeten (1937-1999), professor of electrical engineering, founder and first director of IMEC
- Paul Van Himst ( born 1943 ), Belgian footballer and coach
- Altenahr ( Rhineland -Palatinate )