The term sports management describes actions and structures in which managers offer sports goods or services. There are several aspects of the term:
- The Sport Management as a department or management of any organization, such as a sports club, a sports federation, a sports venue, or in the company of a sporting goods manufacturer;
- The Sport Management as the activity of sports agent in the same environment
- The sports management as a representation of an athlete, which has appointed an independent sports manager.
- 2.1 Required Competencies / Skills
- 2.2 Responsibilities by frequency of mention
- 3.1 State universities 3.1.1 universities
- 3.1.2 colleges
Sub-areas of sports management
Sport Management is divided into two areas: Sports Management ...
Sport Management as a department or management of any organization
The sports management as a corporate governance of institutions, organizations, companies and clubs is performed by sport managers. It includes functions of planning, organizing, leading and controlling a company that offers sport or fitness related services, products or other services.
" Sport Management identifies the goal-oriented design in sport, the management of sports organizations "
Sport Management as an activity of sports agent
The activities of sports managers is traditionally the on Fayol (1929 ) declining Manager functions: planning, organizing, leading and control described. The activities are not only internally, but also externally oriented. Managers need not only technical skills, but also conceptual and social.
Sports managers are responsible for the professional organization of sporting events or provide in sponsoring or sports marketing agencies for their funding. However, they also work in smaller portions, such as the municipal administration of sport or for fitness centers.
The activity in the club and recreational sports requires special skills that are different from usual manager and business skills. In sports management in this area, it 's not just about cultivating tradition, but to actively shape the future of the sport of youth and clubs. Unlike in other areas of management in sport management is not necessarily the profit maximization or profit maximization at the center. The utility maximization ( sporting success) is in principle higher than profit maximization, otherwise many clubs would no longer exist because of insolvency.
Areas of responsibility may include:
- Management of finances
- Sponsors and the organization of the sponsors performances
- Marketing of a club, merchandising and sales, jersey - and Band Advertisement
- Public relations and marketing associations, companies in the Sportartieklindustrie ( dressing and accessorizing of athletes ), sport events: the press, radio and television ( TV rights deal )
Leading sports managers are still generalists, similar to corporate managers. A well-known example of this is Uli Hoeness. However, job titles and activities in sports management change. Thus, the position of sporting director was in the course of professionalization measures in the Bundesliga introduced, which is responsible for the administrative affairs of the association: Creation of schedules (eg booking of training camps, arrivals and departures ), organization of accommodation at away games, compilation of the squad.
Sport Management as a representation of an athlete
Self Sportmanager occur in different areas of the sports industry, some managers work across divisions. Special forms of management and thus became known sports managers are in the following sports:
- Boxing: Boxing promoters and boxing
- Football: Players' Agents ( Player's agent, player agent)
Examples of well-known sports manager: The boxing promoter Don King, in Germany the former racing driver Willi Weber, who has managed Ralf Schumacher and other well-known racing driver.
Professional Sports Manager
Experts estimate that there are around 800,000 places in Germany that can be assigned to the sports management field. Possible are small annual salaries of € 25,000, but also peak earnings of € 500,000 in the Bundesliga. As diverse as the annual salaries are the complex requirements by many people and the emotion of sport. Asked in addition to leadership skills, the organizational and communication skills, as well as empathy. Important is in addition to studying a lot of practical experience that brings contacts and raises the profile. Often the modern sport manager is under temporal stress and requires a high frustration threshold. Simplified one can say that the requirement profile is based on three technical pillars: business basics, legal foundations, and general basic knowledge of sport management.
Required skills / abilities
Different types of managers affect their suitability:
- Generalist ( small organization, all activities above-average importance )
- Administrator ( small organization, almost all activities under average importance )
- Delegator (large organization, therefore mostly multiple managers, some below average importance )
- Communication skills ( building networks and contacts and intercultural communication )
- Coordination ability ( organizational skills )
- Business management skills ( financial management, control, administration, affairs;, personnel and personnel management, recovery of personnel, training and education )
- Social skills and competences ( team skills, critical awareness, assertiveness and diplomatic skills, for example in the form of employability )
- Expertise ( club and sports skills)
- Ability to represent
Tasks by frequency of mention
Studying without High School: 2- year vocational education and a master's certificate or a career advancement or completed 2 years of vocational training and 3 years of professional experience