- 6.1 freeman
The municipality is situated on the southern slope of the Thuringian Forest near the Rennsteig. South-east of the village lies the source of the river pond " silence " is what caused the name of the place. The place is about 380 m above sea level. Sea level in a valley at the foot of the eastern ridge of Stiller 's " and the " silent hill ".
Springstille was mentioned in documents as early as 948 the first time under the name " Stillaha " and thus celebrated in 1998 its 1050 anniversary. At the time of the Emperor Otto I the place, together with the adjacent Schwarza belonged to the abbey Hersfeld. The place was the oldest settlement in the Official Hallenberg. Since 1274 included parts of the village, both to the Official Hallenberg, as well as to Schmalkalden. Belonging Schmalkalden goods 1360 in a land register of the Office Schmalkalden called, which was located since this year under a hen Berg and Hessian dual power and completely belonged to Hesse- Kassel since 1583.
In 1384 the town was renamed Stiller jumping. Between 1500 and 1806 Springstille was in the Frankish Empire circle. In a document of the Counts of Henneberg, the village was mentioned in 1536 as a style jumping. 1545 reached the Reformation the place. During the Thirty Years War, the population dropped to 22 families.
Springstille 1659 was affected by witch hunts. Margaretha Schmidt, widow, aged 70, was caught in a witch trial.
All the way to office Hallenberg the place came in 1791. The railway line from Schmalkalden to Steinbach- Hallenberg was built in 1891. 1902 saw the establishment of the sports club "Jahn", 1921, the MGV " Liedertafel ". With the 1959/1960 completed establishing the LPG Springstille was a fully cooperative village, followed by the founding of the village clubs and Mardi Gras Association in 1969. Rabbits Hollow was expanded in 1971 as a cultural center. A transmission tower was erected in 1981 on the 513 m high Rödelberg in the east of the village.
A special feature is mentioned in the Chronicle of 1659: Margaretha Schmidt was tried and acquitted in a witch trial.
The municipal council of Springstille is composed of eight council women and councilors, all belonging to the Free Voters Community Springstille. (As at municipal election on June 27, 2004)
The honorary mayor Hans -Gert Reich was elected on 27 June 2004.
There is a partnership with the Finnish municipality Lappajärvi.
Economy and infrastructure
Previously Springstille lived almost entirely on agriculture, and even today there are still some farmers in the village who farm the surrounding fields. By L 1118 place with Herges -Hallenberg and Schmalkalden is attached. The 1891 -built railway line pass through central silence through the north of the village lying mountains while Hirzberg the breakpoint Alterbach and Steinbach- Hallenberg station, but has no breakpoint in or near Spring silence.
The Spring Stiller church is with one of the oldest in the rule of the abbey Hersfeld. In the Thirty Years' War it was destroyed, only the tower remains.
- Frank Luck ( born 1967), Olympic gold medalist and world champion in biathlon, according to him is a street in the commercial area of the town named