SS Deutschland (1923)
The Germany, sometimes referred to differentiate from other ships named Germany as Germany IV, was one of the regular service across the Atlantic -built steam ship of the German shipping company Hapag, which originally 183.73 meters long and 24.0 meters wide, and with 20,602 GRT was measured. The sinking by a British air attack in 1945 caused many casualties.
The Germany emerged as one of four ships together with the Albert Ballin, she ran on April 28, 1923 at Blohm & Voss in Hamburg launched and completed its maiden voyage from the March 27, 1924 first to Southampton and then to New York City. Because on this ship appeared excessive vibration, it was nicknamed "Cocktail Shaker". 1929, the machinery was renewed and thus increases the rate of 16 to 19 knots. 1933, Germany was extended to 197 meters and re-measured with 21,046 GRT. On board cabins were first class, 400 second class and 935 third class 180 passengers. The twin- screw steamer had two funnels and four masts.
In 1940 it was first used as an accommodation ship of the Navy in Gdynia. In 1945, it carried about 70,000 refugees from the contested German areas in the east to the west.
In April 1945, she was converted into a hospital ship and they began the ship to paint white. However, the color was sufficient only for the chimneys, of which only one side was awarded a Red Cross. On May 3, 1945, she was sunk in the Bay of Lübeck before Neustadt by the same British air attack in which the Cap Arcona and the Thielbek were sunk.
The wreck was raised and scrapped in 1948.
- Roy Nesbit - Cap Arcona: atrocity or accident? - Aeroplane Monthly, June 1984 ( English)