St Agnes, Isles of Scilly
Template: Infobox Island / Maintenance / height missing
St Agnes ( Cornish: Aganas ) is an island of the Scilly group. The 3.66 km ² island is connected by a tombolo with the neighboring island Gugh.
The most famous landmark of St. Agnes is the 1680 Trinity House built about 23 m high lighthouse. Until 1790, he was selected as one of the oldest lighthouses Cornwall coal fired before he was operated up to its addition to serve a probationary period in 1911 exclusively with oil. He will be replaced today the Peninnis Lighthouse.
Other landmarks of the island are the Church of St. Agnes, the menhir Nag 's Head and the circle of stones Troytown Maze.
The residents of St. Agnes lived formerly of pilotage, which she contributed for ships who wanted to drive on the English Channel. Today is the most important source of income, in addition to tourism, the kelp fishery.
Flora and Fauna
About a quarter of the island is a Site of Special Scientific Interest. Rare species such as Grass Ophioglossum lusitanicum, Poa infirma, Juncus gerardii and the Ordinary beach ledges up here. In addition, one finds Bodenfrüchtigen Clover, Common adder's tongue and Ophioglossum azoricum.
Especially in October, you can on the island observe a variety of birds. These include Balkan Warbler, Killdeer Plover, Magnolia Warbler, racing birds, Rotkopfwürger, snake eagle, sparrows, warblers and shore Little Bustards.