St Nedelya Church
The Sweta Nedelja ( Bulgarian катедрала Света Неделя ) is the cathedral of the metropolitan ( archbishop ) of Sofia the Bulgarian Orthodox church in the Bulgarian capital Sofia Cathedral.
The Sveta Nedelya Cathedral is located near the Largo architecture complex in the center of Sofia on the same place. Just east of the cathedral close the Sheraton Hotel Sofia, the Church of Sveta Petka Samardschijska, the Central Department Store Sofia, the Banya Bashi Mosque and the Central Mineral Bath Sofia ( built in 1913 ) with the bath - Course ( площад Бански / Ploschtad Banski ) to. West of the cathedral is the Theological Institute of St. Kliment Ohridski University of Sofia. On the opposite side of the square is the central building of Bulbank.
The Sveta Nedelya Cathedral is a medieval church that has suffered destruction several times and was rebuilt several times. Below the cathedral and on the square in front of the Sheraton Hotel located (Central Mineral Bath Sofia see # History ) are the remains of the ancient Roman Baths of Serdica.
In the late 19th and the first decades of the 20th century, the cathedral still " holy king " ( Bulg Свети Крал / Sveti Kral ) was called because the body of the Serbian King Stefan Uroš II Milutin was kept ( 1282-1321 ) here. 2007, the body of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church and the Synod of Sofia as a sign of solidarity of the Serbian Orthodox Church was left. This transfer can be interpreted as a more than friendly gesture, because Milutin is now venerated as a saint in Bulgaria and his bones have the status of a relic. He rested again today in the monastery Banjska, which was re-consecrated in 2004, in the Serbian province of Kosovo and Metohija.
In 1925, a bomb attack on the Sveta Nedelya Cathedral was perpetrated by communists, killing 120 people and 500 were injured.