AS Saint- Étienne
- European Football Championship 1984
- Football World Cup 1998
- Rugby Union World Cup 2007
- European Football Championship 2016
The Stade Geoffroy Guichard is a football stadium in Saint-Etienne, France and home of the football club AS Saint- Étienne. It is intended as one of currently ten venues for the European football championship in 2016.
The construction of the stadium started in 1930. On September 13, 1931, the stadium was officially opened on September 17, the first game took place. At that time there was only one stand, which offered 1,800 followers place. Gradually, the capacity has been strengthened. In 1938 there were already 15,000 spectator stands, in 1957, the stadium was expanded to 25,000 seats. In 1968, the next stage was inaugurated with 39,570 seats. For the European Football Championship in 1984, the stadium was renovated and the number increased to 48 274, of which 22,000 seats. The football World Cup in 1998 led to a new renovation and the reduction of capacity on the current figure of 35 616 seats. The stadium is a pure football stadium and offers since 1998 exclusively seats. The stadium has four stands, which are each divided into two ranks.
- Tribune Charles Paret, 8,541 locations, of which 4,841 in the lower rank
- Tribune Jean Snella, 8,767 locations, of which 4,690 in the lower rank
- Tribune Pierre Faurand, circa 7500 seats, of which 18 boxes and approximately 1,200 VIP seats
- Tribune Henri Point, 10,315 seats, including 1,200 places for opposing supporters
The record crowd of 47 747 spectators reached the quarter-finals of the French Cup in the game ASSE against Lille on 11 May 1985. After the conversion, and the resulting reduction of the spectators made the record stands at 35,352 spectators in the game of Ligue 1 with Olympique Lyon in the season 2005/06.
The Stade Geoffroy Guichard owes its name Geoffroy Guichard, who founded the retail chain Casino. The club AS Saint- Étienne has its origin with employees of this company. The stadium stands on land that was formerly owned by Casino.