RC Toulon Sporting Toulon ( to 1955 )
The Stade Mayol is a stadium in the French city of Toulon in the Var. It is located on the edge of the city center, close to the ferry port. Opened in 1920, the stadium is the venue for the rugby union club RC Toulon, which is represented in the top league Top 14. It can accommodate 14,700 spectators and is named after a native of Toulon singers Félix Mayol.
1919 provided the Félix Mayol RC Toulon to finance a new stadium at. The groundbreaking ceremony was on 26 July of the same year. The opening was celebrated on March 28, 1920 with a football and a rugby game. In 1921, the city planned to tear down the stadium management. It was merely a temporary facility and the site should be used instead for a velodrome. The discussions went on for several years until these plans were finally abandoned in 1936.
When an Allied air raid on November 23, 1943 fell 53 bombs on the ground, causing great damage. Renovations of the stands were made in the years 1947 and 1965 (then the stadium went into the property of the city ). During the football club Sporting Toulon since 1955 ( opening of the Stade de Bon Rencontre ) plays only sporadically here, the finale is the Tournoi de Toulon played in Stade Mayol since 1975. In 1983, the stands were completely rebuilt and expanded its capacity. Since 1990 is located directly next to the stadium a shopping center.