Steineroth is a municipality in the district of Old churches in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality Gebhardshain. Colloquially the place " Steinert " is called.
The municipality is located on the northern foothills of the Westerwald out the winner country south on Betz village; more neighboring municipalities are elves in the southwest, Molzhain in the south and Kausen in the southwest. South-east of the town there erhabt the Old Born head ( 455 m).
Steineroth was first documented in 1438. Steineroth belonged to the parish Gebhardshain in the county of Sayn.
For a long time constant, the number of inhabitants around the same level, in 1597, twelve heads of families counted in 1667, the place had eleven " fireplaces " (houses), in 1693 there were nine taxpayer and 1742 fourteen " smokes " (houses). Thus, it was in the period between 50 and 70 residents.
Towards the end of World War II in March 1945 occurred in Steineroth and Dauersberg fighting between German and American soldiers, with nine members of the Wehrmacht and an unknown number of U.S. soldiers lost their lives.
The development of the population of Steineroth, the values from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:
The local council in Steineroth consists of twelve council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 of personalized proportional representation, and the honorary mayor as chairman. The twelve seats in the municipal council are divided into two groups of voters.