Brock Hausen, hair, Schrick, Central Stiepelmann, top Stiepelmann, formerly Buchholz

Bochum- Stiepelmann is a district in the south of Bochum, which is limited to the southeast and south by the Ruhr to Witten and Hattingen. The total area is 12.46 km ² Stiepels, making it the largest district of Bochum. On the road Kemnader 302 a is 196 m above sea level at the same time the highest point of Bochum. At the village church Stiepelmann reaches a height of 110 m above sea level. NN, on the Ruhr 70 m above sea level. NN, thus exist over a short distance large height differences. The main thoroughfare is Kemnader road which is, however, to number 39 in the Weitmar district.

Stiepelmann was first mentioned in 880. As early as 1008, the Stiepeler village church was built. Previously, Emperor Otto III. Count Liutger, husband of Countess Imma, given the court Stiepelmann ( Stipenloh ). Imma bequeathed the estate Stiepelmann to the Bishop of Bremen. Over the centuries there were the four noble residences Good in Becke, Brüggeney house, house rabbits Kamp and house Munkenbeck. The Lords of Kemnade received the Oberhof in 1115. In 1393 Wennemar Dückerstieg (from the Salhof in the Becke ) by Simon noble Lord to the lip with the court Stiepelmann enfeoffed. 1410 followed by Romberg. From 1414 to 1647 were the von der Recke, the court masters of the high court Stiepelmann. They lived at home Kemnade. The last lord of the manor was the Baron Friedrich von Syberg († 1847).

The Reformation was introduced in 1596 by the minister Henricus Kluvenbeck, but came back later to political conflicts.

The mining industry recorded in the 18th century a revival, in 1755 we found only eight mines in Stiepelmann. The court, Mr demanded a tenth of the coal. To use the Ruhr shipping 1783 Prussia rose one-fifteenth of coal as a control.

In the 19th century, the miner William Korte is lived in Stiepelmann and have established an eight-member gang of robbers have fled later to Holland and from there to America.

On August 1, 1929, formed before 1858 from the former places Brockhausen, hair, middle, top Stiepelmann and Schrick independent municipality was incorporated to Bochum. The district of Bochum was dissolved. A year earlier, the 325 m long bridge over the Ruhr at the moated castle Haus Kemnade was opened, which replaced a large load ferry.

In the course of the formation of the Ruhr- University Bochum took place in the once rural Stiepelmann a construction boom. Nevertheless, Stiepelmann preserved many open spaces. The population of Stiepelmann is currently about 11,500. The proportion of foreigners is 2.2 % and is the lowest in Bochum. Even today Stiepelmann applies with its vast southern slope surfaces parallel to the Ruhr as the most expensive residential area in Bochum.

Other attractions include the Stiepels Kemnade that Stiepeler village church, the Stiepeler Cistercian monastery and today geographically Hattingen belonging, but located in the property of the City of Bochum, house Kemnade. From the golf course opens up wide vistas, both the Kemnade Dortmund as well as over the Ruhr direction Witten and Blankenstein. Appreciably as attraction is still the autumn fair with livestock market ( Thanksgiving and dead hard ), called Flying fair.

The waters include the Rantendeller Bach and the Knöselbach.

Stiepeler village church ( protestant )

House Kemnade

Kemnader street in Stiepelmann, January 2005

At the old ferry, April 2004

View from the northern Stiepeler Ruhr shore at the old ferry south on Blankenstein Castle (2005)

View from Stiepelmann as explained in this section wooded Ruhr valley to the south of the castle Blankenstein (2005)