Stratford station

Stratford is a railway station in the London Borough of Newham and most important transportation hub in the northeastern suburbs of London. Here there is a Central Line and Jubilee Line of the London Underground, the Docklands Light Railway and trains of the railroad companies London Overground, Abellio Greater Anglia and c2c. With tickets for the railway station as the Stratford ( London) is called in order to avoid confusion with Stratford- upon- Avon. In 2011, 48.57 million passengers used the subway to the train station, adding more 17.479 million passengers by rail.


The tower station consists of two intersecting planes. On the lower level ( tracks 1 and 2) keep the trains from London Overground on the North London Line. The three tracks of the Jubilee Line ( tracks 13-15) are located in the immediate vicinity, connected by a pedestrian bridge. The upper level of the station is served by the Central Line ( tracks 3 and 6) and by trains of Greater Anglia from Liverpool Street to Shenfield, Southend- on-Sea and Cambridge ( tracks 5 and 8-12). At the blunt-ended track 4 is the terminus of the Docklands Light Railway (DLR ) towards Poplar, also the DLR uses the tracks 16 and 17 for trains to Stratford International and Beckton and Woolwich Arsenal. Track 7 is not working.


The station was opened on 20 June in 1839 by the Eastern Counties Railway ( ECR). On September 15, 1840, the Northern and Eastern Railway took over the traffic on the branch line to Broxbourne. Next to the station a maintenance workshop, which was later rebuilt but in a goods station was built. The Central Line reached Stratford on December 4, 1946 ago from Liverpool Street Station. The elongation at Leyton went on 5 March 1947 in operation. On 31 August 1987, the Docklands Light Railway was opened, initially on the direction in Poplar.

In the late 1990s they built the station as part of the extension of the Jubilee Line to complete. There was a hall of steel and glass that encloses most of the lower level and a new ticket hall. The old ticket hall, which was located on the east side of the station and was connected by an underpass with this, was demolished. The opening of the Jubilee Line platforms on 14 May 1999.

Just a few hundred meters away to Stratford station on International Channel Tunnel Rail Link is indeed already completed since April 2006, but was only opened in November 2009. Originally, there Euro Star trains stop, but this is according to the current state no longer be the case. On 31 August 2011, the connection between the two stations was opened by the Docklands Light Railway, which since then uses a disused section of the North London Line.

During the 2012 Olympic Games Stratford was the main feeder station to the competition venues in the nearby Olympic Park. Presumably in 2018 the volume of traffic will increase once more considerably if the Crossrail route is put into operation.