Stratzing is a market town with 813 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013 ) in the district of Krems- Land in Lower Austria.

  • 3.1 community partnership


Stratzing located in the Waldviertel in Lower Austria. The area of ​​the municipality covers 5.84 square kilometers. 2.55 per cent of the area is forested.

There are no other cadastral except Stratzing.


First colonization there were already in the Neolithic period. In digging for a water - high container a burnt layer was cut, which has been scientifically evaluated. There were fireplaces and many remains of Stone Age hunters, it turned out that there is a - acted hunting camp - repeatedly used over several years.

The first mention of Stratzing in a charter of the monastery Göttweig. Other names for Stratzing were also Stränzen or Stretzingen. About a land grant in 1209, the vineyards of Stratzing came to the lying in the foothills pin Lilienfeldund was managed by Castle Unterdürnbach from. Documents from 1345 testify to the market and citizens to Stratzing. Due to the leading by the market salt and iron road from Vienna to Bohemia and the resulting commercial activities it came to economic prosperity in the 13th to 16th century.

Emperor Rudolph II conferred on January 2, 1583 the market Stratzing a coat of arms, the Deed that was lost during the world wars. In 1619 the town was sacked in the wake of the Thirty Years' War and completely burned down. While in the surrounding villages in 1676 the plague raged, Stratzing was spared. The Stratzinger citizens in 1679 put a vow, the feast of St. Sebastian every year especially to celebrate; also 3 Pestmarterl were built. 1873 was also Stratzing by cholera spared.

In the Nazi period, the municipality Stratzing was incorporated into the provincial capital Krems, 1948 Stratzing was independent again. The market town Stratzing in 1971 merged with the municipality Droß a market town Stratzing - Droß. For the 400 -year celebration of the arms market survey instrument in a solemn ceremony was re again on 21 June 1983. On September 23, 1988 was found under the direction of Mrs. Dr. Neugebauer - Maresch stone chips, which could be assembled into a small statuette. The oldest woman statue in the world was found. It dates from about 32,000 BC, is 7.2 cm in size and 10 g in weight and consists of greenish Amphibolitschiefer. As Venus designated by Gallows Hill, the statue is in the Natural History Museum in Vienna. On 1 January 1993 it came to the political separation and Stratzing has since again an independent municipality.

Population Development

According to the results of the 2001 census, there were 797 inhabitants. In 1991, the market town of 691 inhabitants in 1981 and 520 in 1971, 508 inhabitants.


Mayor of the municipality is Josef Schmid. In the market there are local council after the local elections in 2010 with a total of 15 seats following distribution of seats: List ÖVP 13 list SPO 2, no other seats.

Community partnership

  • Vigaun, Salzburg

Economy and infrastructure

Non-agricultural work places there were in 2001 19, agricultural and forestry holdings according to the 1999 survey 67 The number of persons employed at the residence was according to the 2001 census 353 The employment rate in 2001 was 44.66 percent.