Tarvisio (on Friulian and German, Tarvisio in Italian, Trbiž in Slovenian ) is a town with 4540 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) in Italy in the northeastern part of the Friuli- Venezia Giulia in the province of Udine in the Italian - Austrian-Slovenian border triangle in Tarvis.
- 2.1 Neighbouring communities
- 3.1 languages
Tarvisio is located about 750 m above sea level on the A23 motorway and the railway line Villach - Udine ( Pontebbana ).
Tarvis was to the 17th century, often in contrast to large - Tarvisio Tarvisio called small (Treviso in the Veneto). The name derives from the River Tervis (now Rio Bartolo ) ago. Other interpretations are based on the geographical location. Tarvisio is located at the junction of three ways, as the name might also come from tres tres Viis or viae.
The municipal area located next to the main town of Tarvisio following other larger towns: Coccau ( German: Goggau, Slovenian: Kokova ) Fusine in Valromana ( German: White Rock, Slovene: Bela peč / Fužine ), Cave del Predil ( German: Raibl, Slovenian: Rabelj ), Campo Rosso ( German: Camporosso, Slovenian: Žabnice ), Rutte ( German: Greuth, Slovenian: Trbiške rute ).
Arnold Stone (Slovenian: Podklošter ) ( Austria ), Chiusaforte ( German: Klausen, Slovenian: Kluže ) High Thurn (Slovenian: Straja vas ) ( Austria ), Kranjska Gora ( German: Kronau ) ( Slovenia), Malborghetto Valbruna ( German: Malburgeth - Wolf creek, Slovenian: Naborjet - Ovčja vas ), Bovec ( German: Flitsch ) ( Slovenia)
The city has Roman roots and belonged from 1002 to 1759 to the Bishopric of Bamberg. Already in 1571 the settlement received the right to hold a fair on St. Bartholomew's Day. In 1909, the village was elevated to town and got a coat of arms. Until 1918 it belonged to the Duchy of Carinthia, thus Austria -Hungary and was a garrison town of kuk Moravian- Silesian Military Police Battalion No. 5 After 1918, in the civilian purposes today serving La Marmora barracks Alpini were housed last parts of the battalion Gemona. Tarvisio is located on ancient trade routes and also had mining importance. The city benefited from the long border traffic with Austria and Yugoslavia and Slovenia. Today, especially tourism, and especially the mountain sports ( mountaineering, trekking ) and the winter sports are important. The Karawanken, the Carnic Alps and the Julian Alps offer interesting possibilities.
The city was, as the entire Val Canale, until 1918 mainly German and Slovene, but today Slovenes as a German minority against the Italians. In Tarvisio there are four official languages : Italian, German, Friulian and Slovenian.
Renato Carla Toni is since 2007 the mayor of Tarvisio. During his tenure, the market is to be renovated and more four -language inscriptions are attached to the offices ". The locals have the right to express themselves in their mother tongue "
The Tarviser market
The Tarviser market was already in the 1950s, when there was shortage of goods in Austria, visited by countless Carinthian. The " rag market " in Untertarvis moved daily to thousands of shopping tourists, especially Austrians and Slovenes. In the 1990s, then came Hungarians, Slovaks, Czechs and Poles here to purchase. Nowadays there is a gaping void on weekdays and long-established businessmen talking of huge revenues. Only on the weekends attracts the business to be felt. Especially Villach with the new shopping center and the city became the immediate competition.
In addition to the cross-country trails, which are drawn over the meadows, there are alpine slopes, newly developed slopes and a ski jumping stadium. Tarvisio has a long tradition in winter tourism and is also economically dependent on it.
The Alpine Ski World Cup in 2007, 2009 and 2011 made in Tarvisio station. Graduated were a departure, a super -G and super combined of the women, respectively.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Mario Arpino ( born 1937 ), Italian general
- Sergio Balbinot (born 1958 ), Italian Insurance Manager
- Isidor sky Baur (1858-1919), Austrian librarian