Text Grid is a joint research with the aim to create a virtual research environment for intellectual and cultural scientists. Modern information technology is to be made available for digital publishing projects. The project is funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF). Text Grid is a project of the D- Grid GmbH and part of WissGrid.
The work on text grid was recorded in February 2006. In the first phase of the project until May 2009, the software was started, thus creating the infrastructure for the virtual research environment with development. In the following funding period (June 2009- May 2012), the system achieved production status, the user base has been expanded. Meanwhile, the project is in the third phase (June 2012 to May 2015) with the subtitle " institutionalization of a virtual research environment in the humanities." The aim is to transfer into continuous operation, which is both financially, legally and technically protected.
At the third phase of the project, the following institutions are involved:
- Berlin- Brandenburg Academy of Sciences, Berlin
- DAASI International GmbH, Tübingen
- Fachhochschule Worms, Faculty of computer science and telecommunications
- Georg -August- University of Goettingen, Goettingen State and University Library Göttingen ( project management)
- Society for Scientific Data Processing mbH Göttingen
- Institute for German Language, Mannheim
- Julius- Maximilians- University of Würzburg, Institute of German Philology
- Max Planck Institute for the History of Science, Berlin
- Technical University Berlin, Center for Technology and Society
- Technical University of Darmstadt, Institute of Language and Literature
With the development of grid software text humanities and social scientists can work alone or together on text-based research data. For this purpose an infrastructure, which primarily consist of two components:
- The text grid repository is a specialized scientific archive, can be stored in the digital research data. It is to ensure their long -term availability and accessibility as well as the best possible networking between scientists.
- The text Grid Laboratory is the client software of the virtual research environment and combines various services and tools in an intuitive interface. The TextGridLab is expandable and so for scientists from different disciplines of interest. It is available for all major operating systems for download.
Text Grid users have the opportunity with developers and other interested parties to get in touch. For this purpose, are open mailing lists. In addition, at regular intervals Users' Meeting will take place. Training courses and workshops are offered.
Meanwhile, there are a variety of editorial projects that work with text grid, for example:
- The Theodor Fontane work of Georg - August -Universität Göttingen working on a genetically - critical and annotated hybrid edition of the notebooks of the writer.
- As part of the project " Johann Friedrich Blumenbach - online" makes the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen the publications of the anatomist and anthropologist available online.
- The medieval manuscripts of the Benedictine Abbey of St. Matthias Trier are digitized by the project "Virtual Scriptorium St. Matthias".