The Flower of Hawaii
- Princess Laya, the "Flower of Hawaii" (soprano )
- Prince Lilo - Taro, her fiance (Tenor)
- Raka, a young Hawaiierin ( soubrette )
- Reginald Harold Stone, captain of the U.S. Navy (Tenor)
- Jim Boy, a dark-skinned American jazz singer ( Tenorbuffo )
- Bessi Worthington, niece of the Governor ( soubrette )
- John Buffy, secretary of the Governor ( Tenorbuffo )
- Lloyd Harrison, American Governor of Hawaii ( voice)
- Admiral Mackintosh (voice)
- Kaluna, an ancient Hawaiians (baritone )
- Kanako Hilo, leader of the royalist group ( baritone)
- Lieutenant Sunny Hill (any voice )
- Cadet Bobbie Flipps (any voice )
- Susanne Provence (soprano, usually played by the actress who played Laya, double roller )
- Cadets, naval officers, society, servant (chorus )
The flower of Hawaii is an operetta by the Hungarian composer Paul Abraham. The libretto was written by Emmerich Foldes, Alfred Grünwald and Fritz Löhner- Beda. First performance was in Leipzig on 24 July 1931. The story of Liliuokalani was the inspiration for this work.
Two flutes, one oboe, three clarinets, one bassoon, two horns, three trumpets, three trombones, two pianos, two banjos, a harp, percussion and strings.
The operetta is set in Honolulu and in Monte Carlo to 1895.
Before a villa in Honolulu
Shortly before the beginning of the 20th century, the American army has occupied Hawaii and deposed the queen. Since then, there is a governor on the archipelago. The Hawaiian Princess Laya has come to terms more or less with the new conditions, it keeps but rather in Paris, where they have given their parents in their youth for training. Even as a child she was destined later to become the wife of Prince Lilo - taro. However, this loves life more than his home and is often traveling.
A large part of the natives is the American occupation contrary. The royalist party has chosen Kanako Hilo to their leader, and hopes that it will succeed him, shake off the colonial rule. Governor Harrison but cherishes the plan, his niece Bessi to marry Lilo - taro, so as to gain influence on the Hawaiian elite. Harrison's secretary John Buffy, however, does not fit this because he himself has his eye on Bessi.
Captain Stone arrives in Honolulu. On board his ship he had a pair of artists: The young man is the famous jazz singer Jim -boy. The accompanying him lady pretends to be the no less famous singer Susanne Provence. In fact, it is the homecoming princess Laya, which would first like to remain anonymous. On the ship to Captain Stone has fallen in love with the " singer ".
As Kanako Hilo has revealed the true identity of the singer, he hopes to gain an ally in the fight against the occupying power in it. The princess, however, for this idea does not appeal, although she is welcomed by the people as a queen.
Hall in the royal palace in Honolulu
In the Flower Festival held annually, it is the custom for a young lady is crowned the queen of flowers, the " Flower of Hawaii ". As such, this year Princess Laya is to be proclaimed. Governor Harrison feared that the people would take this event as an opportunity to revolt against the occupying power. From Princess Laya he wants to sign a declaration stating that they waived on behalf of the Hawaiian people to any sovereignty claims. After the Princess has rejected this request, it is declared by the Governor enemy of the state. Captain Stone is commanded to arrest them immediately. Because of this, however, the princess deeply revered, he refused the command and risked so that he will lose his post. To help Stone out of trouble, finally writes Laya still the explanation. Lilo - Taro, in the meantime love is kindled to his fiancée, this indicates wrong. He is deeply distressed and flees to the sea, there to find death. Laya now knows who owns her heart.
In a Chinese bar in Monte Carlo
It is the meeting all the protagonists of the operetta, to listen to the singing of the "real" Susanne Provence. Captain Stone, the Honolulu luck was hold to preserve Lilo - taro from suicide, now also has luck in the game. He and the Prince have become really close friends. Susanne Provence comforts him, because he will be without the love at Laya. The end of the operetta is predictable: it found four happy couples, which of course also Laya and Lilo - Taro belong.
This operetta is a typical product of the 20s of the last century. Paul Abraham was one of the first composers to seasoned the operetta genre with elements of jazz emerging especially in Europe, which is why this stage work as a musical act in some places.
Among the musical highlights include:
- My golden baby
- A paradise on the sea beach ( Slow Foxtrot )
- Will you put the world at your feet ( Slow Waltz )
- We sing for the jazz band ( foxtrot )
- Where there are girls, comrades ( march )
- You dream beautiful pearl of the South Seas ( Slow Waltz )
- I'm just a Jonny, pull through the world ( Slow Foxtrot )
- My little boy, I will stay loyal to you, I want in your strong hands happy end ( foxtrot ) and the theme tune
- Flower of Hawaii ( Slow Foxtrot )
In the years 1932/1933, the operetta was filmed under their name from the Rio Film GmbH Berlin. Directed by Richard Oswald played Marta Eggert ( Laya ), Hans Fidesser ( Lilo - Taro ), Ivan Petrovich (Captain Stone), Hans Junker man (Governor ), Baby Gray ( Bessy ) and Erno Verebes ( Buffy ) the lead roles.
1953 appeared the feature film Flower of Hawaii around the performance of the operetta. Directed by Géza von Cziffra, it played Maria Litto, William Stelling, Ursula Justin, Rudolf Platte, Paul Westerberg Meier and Marina Ried.