The ink palace in Windhoek is the seat of the Parliament of Namibia, the National Assembly.
The National Council sitting in a modern new building, known as the National Council Building east of the Ink Palace.
The standing in the Windhoek Central, above the Robert Mugabe Avenue building was designed by the architect Gottlieb Redecker and built by the company Sander 1912-1913 & Kock as an administrative building of the German government from local materials. The building was inaugurated on 1 November 1913.
The Ink Palace is a typical example of independent German colonial architecture. Alluding to " the numerous writers and their high Ink " called the German population, the building mockingly " Ink Palace ". The palace is surrounded by a large park - the so-called parliament gardens - surrounded, which enjoys great popularity among urban population.
The construction of the ink Palace Garden (now Parliament Gardens, Parliament Garden) was started in 1931. To this end, George Kerby and Karl Zirkler were commissioned. Construction began in 1934 with the planting of olive trees that are no longer available on the site today. Today it is a popular park and a green oasis in the city.
At the eastern end of the park to the Ink Palace side there are three statues of important Namibian figures, including Hosea Kutako.
Courtyard of the palace ink
Parliament garden overlooking Christ Church
Hall of the National Assembly
Hosea Kutako Statue