Todtmoos is a municipality in the district of Waldshut in Baden- Württemberg. The health resort is located in the Black Forest to over 700 meters in height.

  • 2.1 religions
  • 3.1 municipal
  • 4.1 Museums
  • 4.2 Music
  • 4.3 Structures
  • 4.4 Sport
  • 4.5 Regular events 4.5.1 Sled Dog Race
  • 5.1 traffic
  • 5.2 Education
  • 5.3 freeman


Geographical location

Todtmoos located in the south of the Black Forest in the upper Wehratal. The municipality covers 13 districts and covers an altitude of 700 m above mean sea level in Wehratal up to 1263 m high head. Todtmoos Hotze in the forest.

Neighboring communities

The municipality is bordered to the north by Todtnau in the district of Lörrach and Bernau, to the east by Ibach, to the south by Herrischried and to the west by the district of Gersbach ( Schopfheim ) the city Schopfheim and Häg - Ehrsberg, both in the district of Lörrach.

Community structure

The community Todtmoos is divided into the districts Au, glassworks, Hintertodtmoos, Schwarzenbach and way, the main town of Front Todtmoos, the hamlet country cottage, Hoefle, fiefs Mättle, Prestenberg, Rütte and knitting and the houses Auer Häusle, Gersbach - Au and Wehrawald. The municipality is the deserted village of New stone where is the castle of the Lords of New Stone Stone rose to Metz. Today is rather assumed that the Neustein lay on the wooden castle at Raitbach.


The climatic Todtmoos is embedded into the steep and wooded Wehratal. The mild climate of the foothills of the mountains is characterized by long hours of sunshine, clean air, mist poverty, winter temperature inversion over the Rhine Valley ( temperature inversion ) and pleasant freshness on midsummer days. Furthermore Todt moss is rich in precipitation, it fall on average 1900 mm per year. This is due to the clouds blockade of the 1263 m high head. In the winter months the average snow depth is 40 cm to 60 cm, in some cases up to 150 cm.


According to legend, the people's priest Dietrich von Rickenbach, built in 1255 after a Marian apparition a chapel on the Schoenbuehl. 1268 a church was built on the site, which was immediately elevated to parish church. Is mentioned for the first time in a document Todtmoos 1267, 1275 the place is mentioned as a possession of the Habsburgs. In 1300 the church was enlarged. 1319 came Todtmoos as fief to the Benedictine monastery of St. Blaise. 1439 reports on a pilgrimage Basel residents, to have attended the 1000 people.

After a fire in the church in 1627 it was rebuilt in the following year; she received a vaulted chancel and two aisles. 1678 drew Charles V, Duke of Lorraine with the imperial army by Todt moss. 1733 built the abbots of St. Blaise in the place a summer residence, the Superioratsgebäude, which is the Catholic rectory today. It was built by the Vorarlberg architect Johann Michael Beer of bleached. The equipment of the representative structure anxious master craftsmen of Wessobrunner school, is called the plasterer Hans Michael Henn bird. The parish and pilgrimage church on the baroque Schoenbuehl was rebuilt in the years 1770-1778 by the architect Franz Joseph Salzmann. 1778 receives the spot market rights.

After Anterior Austria was extinguished as a territory of the Habsburgs in 1806, the place went to the Grand Duchy of Baden. In 1847 started the construction of a road through the Wehratal, 1852, the street is finished. Around the turn of the century to the 20th century, the place was discovered as a resort and health resort: 1897 Luisenbad Kurhaus was opened in 1901 followed the sanatorium Wehrawald in the English style as a sanatorium for tuberculosis sufferers. The village infrastructure has been improved: in 1903 a new town hall was completed in 1905, the Forestry Office, and in 1908 the first electric line through the power of marketing co- Forest Elektra was put into operation. Larger investments were made only after the First World War: 1925, the lookout tower was built on the high head, 1927, the sanctuary was enlarged. In 1935, the independence part of the districts was repealed, dead moss, a unified community.

The first Lungenresektions surgery in Germany at a tuberculosis sufferers was conducted by former senior doctor at the sanatorium Dr. Good Wehrawald 1948. In 1951, Prof. Charles Fried Count Dürckheim the Existential Psychology Education and Meeting Todtmoos- Rütte.

The following years were in the community affected by investments to improve infrastructure: 1953 Construction of water supply and sewerage system in front Todtmoos, 1956 Inauguration of the new evangelical church " to the good shepherds ", 1960 inauguration of the new school building on the Jägermatt, 1961 Construction of a large wastewater treatment facility for front Todtmoos. In 1968, the Todtmooser parish celebrated its 700th anniversary.

Administrative reform in Baden- Württemberg brought to the community Todtmoos some changes: Since the district Säckingen is resolved, the city came in 1973 the district of Waldshut; 1975 could prevent the impending loss of autonomy of the municipality of accession to Gemeindeverwaltungsverband St. Blaise. In the same year, the first sled dog race was held, an event that Todtmoos made ​​known worldwide. 1985 was the first European Championship in that sport in Todtmoos place, 1994, the first World Cup in Germany.

1980 Wehratalhalle was inaugurated with spa, gym and fire station. In 1980 the title of " health resort " by the Ministry of Economics Baden- Württemberg was confirmed. In the following years, a new spa was opened (1983 ), the outdoor pool renovated (1986 ), the Museum Heimethus established ( 1991), which show mine "Hope Stollen" and opened the school renovated ( 2000).


In Todtmoos there since the 14th century a Catholic parish. As a municipality in western Austria and fief of the monastery of St. Blaise place always remained Catholic. The Catholic Church is among the impressive buildings of the community and is an attraction for pilgrims. Since 1987 located in Todtmoos a monastery of the Pauline.

Only since the beginning of 1900 Kurbetriebs also evangelical Christians were propagated in the place. 1920 there was a first pastor. The still rather small Protestant community was in 1956 their church to the good shepherds.


Parish council

The council are after the local elections of 7 June 2009, in addition to the mayor as chairman, 12 members.

Culture and sights


The Heritage Museum: Heimethus is roofed building housed in a 250 year old shingle. On show will be agricultural implements and objects of intellectual creation, and memorabilia of the cure and the pilgrimages.

Since 2000, the "Hope Stollen", the former pyrrhotite and nickel mine in the district Mättle is open as a show mine for visitors.

In Todtmoos- Schwarzenbach today Todtmoos- mountain lodge, was in 1800 the processed sulfur and chalcopyrite from Gersbach, Horbach and dead moss in a Vitriolsiederei to around 1830 a Vitriolhütte.


In Todtmoos there are various music associations:

The accordion orchestra, a Gugge ensemble, the Musikverein Todtmoos- way, the traditional band, the carnival music MIB ( Men In Black )


The most imposing building in the town is the Baroque pilgrimage church, come to the today numerous pilgrims. The present church was built between 1625-1632 on the Schoenbuehl. It was remodeled 1770-1778 by the architect Franz Joseph Salzmann. The stucco-work of Joseph Kaspar Gigl from the Wessobrunner school. The brothers Pfluger created altars, pulpit, pews and portal. In the Anna Chapel there is a silver relief of the Augsburg goldsmith Elias hunters. 1927, the church was extended again, this was also a new tower and two new aisles. The frescoes were created by the painter Johann Anton Morath, he was also involved in Superioratsbau, which was built by the architect Johann Michael Beer of bleached 1733. The staircase is planned 1748 - 1749 Johann Kaspar Bagnato, and the Wessobrunner Stukkator Franz Anton Vogel made ​​for the stucco.

Furthermore, in the municipality are numerous regionally typical Black Forest houses.


In addition to the ski club, football club, there are also nature -bound recreational sports such as horse riding, (Nordic) walking, mountain biking, a high ropes course. By Todtmoos lead the Schluchtensteig, the Wehratal adventure trail and the Glasträgerweg.

Regular events

Every year in the summer instead of the fire festival and in August the festival of lights, in which the old spa park of hundreds of small lanterns will be illuminated. Every second year there is a village festival, which is organized by the local clubs. In addition, the trade association active Todtmoos organized during the summer months, several actions Thursday and a weekly market.

In the so-called fifth season in February, the Carnival (similar to Carnival or Mardi Gras ), include the fools tree locations, children's ball and removals to the regular events. In addition, the traditional is maintained " Schiibe füer " ( disc fire) in some districts, are defeated at the burning or glowing " Schiibe " with the help of an approximately 2 to 2.5 m long elastic floor via a wooden ramp into the valley.

Sled Dog Race

Every year on the last weekend in January will find sled dog race with international involvement in Todtmoos. Since the first race in 1975 sled dog races in Todtmoos as International German Championship to a fixed base were. A highlight in the history of sled dog race in Todtmoos were the European Championship on 23-24. February 1985 and the Huskies World Cup on 25th - 27th February 1994. During the 1994 World Cup, in the rest of the first discharged on German soil Huskies World Cup, Todtmoos achieved a record number of audience of 40,000 spectators. At the World Cup of 2003 spanned 329 mushers from 21 nations around 2,500 dogs in front of their sleds.

Economy and infrastructure

Todtmoos is economically designed mainly on tourism and the cure. This is reflected in the high range of restaurants, summer and winter sporting activities and the spa parks resist. But due to the wooded location, there are also many wood -bound operations such as sawmills, carpentry and a brush factory.


Todtmoos lies in a valley, which is to achieve the Wehrattal either the Hotzenwald ( Freiwald chapel ), or from the meadow valley ( St.Antonipass and Weissbach saddle), of St. Blaise (Red Cross and Ibacher cross), or by the single Talzufahrt. It is about 20 kilometers north of the Swiss border and about 50 per kilometer of Freiburg and Basel.

Buses connect the Südbadenbus Todtmoos with Bad Sackingen, St. Blaise, Rickenbach and Todtnau.


In Todtmoos there is the nursery of St. Elizabeth and the Dr.- Rudolf- Eberle- school ( primary and secondary school with Werkrealschule ).



Originally from the 1953 home movie When playing on Sunday evening the village of Music was filmed in Todtmoos. To use as many idyllic images for the arrival of the protagonist to Todtmoos, use is made of contradictory settings: local guide is obvious that the car ride alternately on the high head ( Weissbach saddle), direction Wehratal and from St. Antoni ( incidentally location away! ) pass is shown coming.


  • Count Rudolf of Habsburg and the hermitage to Todtmoos

In 1255 the priest had Dietrich, who was then living in Sackingen, many phenomena. There was nothing he wanted more than a chapel in honor of Mary. But it was only through the help of a stranger who showed him the wild area at the Wehra, he could clear the place with much trouble. But still he did not know the exact site for the Chapel of the Mother of God. Since she appeared to him in a dream and said, Go to the place which is called the " Schoenbuehl ", and falls the largest fir, as where her top falls down begin to build. So he did and built the chapel. Now he lacked, however, still in donations to get the chapel and to live there themselves. So he asked him the familiar Rudolf of Habsburg for help. This gave him then the great forest, which was called the Jagheld and many other goods and rights. Soon the chapel had to be enlarged to take all people.