Tonnerre is a commune with 5235 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2011 ) in the north of Bourgogne ( German: Burgundy ), Yonne department. It belongs to the community association Communauté de communes du Tonnerre.
The city lies about 35 km east from the capital of the department of Auxerre. The town lies on Armançon and the Canal de Bourgogne ( German: Burgundy Canal ). A small harbor, which is almost exclusively used by houseboats, located on the canal.
Margaret of Burgundy, founded in 1293, a hospice for the sick and the poor, the Hôpital Notre -Dame des Fontilles, it served as a model for the Hôtel- Dieu in Beaune later.
- The former ward at the Hôtel -Dieu with a wooden barrel vault has a length of 91 meters. Today it is a major art exhibition in which, among other things, a representation of the Entombment of Christ from the year 1454 can be seen.
- The Hôtel d' Uzès from the 16th century is now home to a well-known financial institution.
- The karst Fosse Dionne, below the Church of Saint -Pierre is named after the Celtic goddess Divona source, who was consecrated. From the 18th century, the source served as a washing area; to a wash-house was built around them.
Born in Tonnerre
- Charles- Geneviève -Louis -Auguste- André- Timothée d' Éon de Beaumont (1728-1810), diplomat, soldier, Freemasons, writer
- Jean -Baptiste Campenon (1819-1891), General and Minister of War