The municipality covers 38 km ². The community is located about 10 km southeast of Perugia at the confluence of the Tiber and Chiascio. It is part of the Communities Città Dell'Olio, Cittaslow, The most beautiful villages of Italy and the Comunità montana Trasimeno Medio Tevere and is located in the climatic classification of Italian communities in the zone D, GR 2014 / G. In the village the grape Canaiolo nero is grown. The place name comes from the Torre di Giano.
Among the districts ( Frazioni ) include BRUFA (291 meters altitude, about 600 inhabitants, formerly known as the Castel Grifone ) and Ponte Nuovo.
The village was founded in 1276 by resolution of the city of Perugia on March 9, 1274 as Castrum Torscianus on an older place, who was nominated as Giano or Torre di Giano and was destroyed by 595 Agilulf. At this time, the Castello di BRUFA and the corresponding district and built by Fra Bevignate Ponte Nuovo was built. 1426 created its own statutes. In 1500 the site of Cesare Borgia, the Duke Valentino, was taken. 1540 broke the Salt War ( Guerra del Sale ) between the Papal States and around the Perugia by Pope Paul III. used from the salt tax, which the city escaped despite the geographical proximity. From the 17th century prevailed in the city, the families of the Baglioni, the Graziani and Ansidei.
- Castello di BRUFA, castle ruins in the district BRUFA
- Chiesa di San Bartolomeo church from the 18th century. The apse was designed by Ascanio Guglielmo di Panicale and Olimpio Colli 1937
- Chiesa di Sant'Ermete in the district BRUFA, Church with a burial tomb of Giovanni Andrea Bontempi
- Chiesa di Santa Maria dell'Olivello, church, which was built around 1565 and was restored in 1764. Contains a fresco from the 18th century ( Madonna with Child ei Santi Giuseppe Giovanni e )
- Chiesa della Santa Croce church outside the village, which was built in the 18th century over an earlier church (ca. 11th century )
- The olive tree and olive oil museum
- Oratorio di Sant'Antonio Abate, oratorio from the 16th century. Contains works from the environment by Domenico Alfani
- Oratorio della Misericordia, in 1587 already existing oratory with the Campanile in 1834 finished bell tower, which overlooks the village today
- Palazzo Graziani Baglioni, building from the 16th century, since 1974, hosts the Wine Museum
- Parco dei Mulini / Parco dei Rivers, mills and river park at the confluence of the Tiber and Chiascio
- Nel Castello Santa Maria, Church of the ( approximately ) 15-century frescoes on the facade
- Torre Baglioni, just outside the city walls lying tower from the 13th century, which overlooks the village next to the Campanile today
Sons and daughters of the town
- Ciro Scarponi (1950-2006), clarinetist and composer.