Torupilli ( German for " bagpipe " ) is a district (Estonian asum ) of the Estonian capital Tallinn. It is located in the district Kesklinn ( "downtown" ).
Description and History
Torupilli has 3,207 inhabitants (as of 1 May 2010).
The curious name of the district comes from a historic tavern on their shield a bagpipe player was shown. The inn is documented since 1803.
Torupilli is one of the younger suburbs of Tallinn. The majority of the areas away from the highways leading out of the city was built at the end of the 18th century and early 19th century. The occasion was that of the Russian Tsar Peter the First command to expand Tallinn after the conquest of Sweden at a naval base. In Torupilli many officers bought cheap land.
The population growth of Tallinn at the turn of the 19th to the 20th century was also the inhabitants Torupillis skyrocket. Especially in the Laulupeo Street emerged houses with beautiful Art Nouveau facades. One of the houses from the Tsarist era, the typical wooden buildings Tallinn came in the interwar period with a central staircase of stone added. Later, four - to five-storey houses were built as workers' housing.
With the industrialization of Tallinn also some companies settled in Torupilli. So had about the Tallinn pulp mill and spirits producers Liviko there is relocating
Street scene in Torupilli
Typical residential buildings in Torupilli
Old wooden houses