Tricio is a Spanish municipality ( municipio ) in the Autonomous Community of La Rioja hearts with 398 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013).


Tricio situated on a hill near the lower reaches of the Río Najerilla in about 560 meters above sea level. inst; the city of Nájera is only two kilometers away.


In the second half of the 19th century, the place always had 530-650 inhabitants.


For a long time the place functioned as craft and market center for the - now mostly abandoned - smaller farmsteads and hamlets in the area. Since the mid-20th century, tourism (hiking and vacation rentals) plays a not unimportant role as a source of income for the community.


The name of tritium appeared in the 2nd century AD to the first time; the Greek scholar Claudius Ptolemy mentions a Roman settlement called tritium Megalon. Commenting on the Antonine Itinerary of the place is called as a station on the northern route from Saragossa ( Caesar Augusta) to Astorga ( Asturica Augusta). In the early 11th century, tritium of Sancho III. mentioned as an independent component of the fuero of Nájera. In a document of the year 1073 appropriated over Sancho IV some stone houses tritium to the monastery of San Millán de la Cogolla. From Philip IV still referred to in 1658 as an independent city, tritium came a little later under the control of the Dukes of Nájera and belonged until 1833 to the province of Burgos - only then it was added to the original altkastilischen, later navarresich - Basque province of Logroño, 1980 merged into the newly created province of La Rioja.


  • Biggest attraction of the place is the three-nave basilica of Santa María de los Arcos, which lies about 200 meters east of the village. The mostly kapitelllosen supporting the completely inconspicuous from the outside, and - apart from the bell tower ( espadaña ) - almost barn -like effect church structure are assembled from the kanelierten column drums of a Roman temple or mausoleum from the little remote Roman settlement tritium Megallum. When exactly was the sacred structure, is unclear - some researchers date it to late antiquity ( 5th or 6th century ), others see also Visigoth influences, others date it to the time of re-colonization ( repoblación ) in the period of Islamic dominance depopulated areas in the 10th century - in any case, the church is one of the oldest Christian buildings in the Iberian Peninsula. The vault of the apse dome and other decorative elements come in its present form from the 18th century. As part of an excavation campaign in the years 1980-1983 under the floor of the church, some - probably re-used - but discovered ancient tombs and stone cists also several medieval tombs; this can be seen in the side aisles of the church yet. Some of the larger foundation stones bear Latin inscriptions; a marble stele shows a Chrismon. Residue from floor mosaics have been uncovered. In the retracted behind a triumphal arch located and three ' vestry ' of the 18th century surrounded square apse are some medieval remains of frescoes with scenes from the Passion of Christ ( foot washing, Holy Communion, scourging, crucifixion, etc. ) were obtained. The as colored wooden figure of a so-called Black Madonna from the 12th century is located in a wall niche above the altar, and is revered as a curative.

Aisle with sarcophagi and stone cists

  • The rather clunky and austere from the outside late-Gothic parish church of San Miguel in the 16th century is dominated by baroque altarpieces inside. The main altar shows the Archangel Michael as a conqueror of Satan. The church is also home to some interesting properties, such as the marble epitaph of Celedón Pardo y Agüero, the personal physician of Philip IV and lying in a glass coffin figure of the dead Christ ( cristo Yacente ). A device fitted to the side wall grave stele of a Roman legionary and a Romanesque baptismal font are also worth mentioning.