Trino ( in Piedmontese Trin ) is a municipality with 7448 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) in the Italian province of Vercelli (VC ), Region Piedmont.
Trino is located on the left bank of the Po, in the Po Valley towards the Colline del Monferrato. Within the area of rice cultivation is predominant.
The nature reserve Parco Naturale della Partecipanza dei Boschi preserves one of the last remnants of the landscape of the Po Valley, as it presented itself in front of cultivation.
The located in Trino nuclear power plant Enrico Fermi was decommissioned in 1990.
In the 2nd century BC it was in the municipality of Trino a Celtic settlement called Rigomagus who appears in various documents of the 7th to the 10th century and is then gradually replaced by the name Tridinum. The place was well- fixed in the Roman period. Excavations since 1984 Roman fortification walls were excavated at the Church of San Michele.
1014 Henry II gave the now Tredino mentioned place, described as of a few houses and a castle consisting of the Bishop of Vercelli. 1101 the castle came to the Marquis of Monferrato, (now the Good Principato di Lucedio ) founded in 1123 the Abbey of Santa Maria di Lucedio. Here for the first time in Italy grown rice in the 15th century. 1202 Trino was pledged to the Free City of Vercelli and declared the Borgo Franco. Thus, the inhabitants were freed from serfdom and the heads of families had the opportunity to determine its own municipal government. Although Trino was already made in 1253 back to Monferrato, their liberties were, however, confirmed to a large extent. The rise of the city began.
1432 raided the Visconti, the Monferrato. Their allies, the Savoy occupied, among other Trino, but gave it as a fief back to Monferrato. 1533 came Trino together with the Monferrato to the Gonzaga. Since, however, also raised the Savoy claim to the duchy, began a period of wars between the regional powers, behind which France and Spain stood. Also Trino was affected, so in 1541, when it was besieged and taken by the French. In 1613 it was again besieged by the House of Savoy. Although the citizens were left on their own, they could siege of four days instead of hold. After another siege, looting, changes of ownership and epidemics Trino came in 1707 finally Savoy. However, the city was destroyed and bled, razed the city walls. The Monferrato to existing since joining Trino Trino province was dissolved and became an insignificant rural community.
Alessandro Portinaro (PD ) was chosen on 27 May 2013, 54.1 % of the vote for mayor.
- France Chauvigny, France, since 1961
- Germany Geisenheim, Germany, since 1974
- Burkina Faso Banfora, Burkina Faso, since 1999
San Michele in Insula is on the eastern outskirts of the village. The Romanesque church dates back to the 4th century. It contains frescoes from the 13th century.
The parish church of San Bartolomeo was built in the 17th century.
Established in 1123 Abbey of Santa Maria di Lucedio located 8 km north-west of Trino and is now an agricultural estate ( Principato di Lucedio ).