Monastery of La Chalade ( 1127 ) Orval Abbey ( 1132 ) Monastery Haute -Fontaine ( 1136 ) Monastery Cheminon (1138) Monastery Châtillon ( 1142 ) Monastery Monthiers -en- Argonne ( 1144 ) Monastery Szentgotthárd ( 1183 ) Monastery Studenac Belin ( 1234)
The monastery of Trois- Fontaines ( Tres Fontes ) is a former Cistercian abbey in the town of Trois -Fontaines Abbaye in the department of Marne, Champagne- Ardenne, France. The ruined monastery is located about 10 km north of Saint- Dizier in the border area of the landscapes Perthois and Barrois.
The monastery was founded in 1118 by Bernard of Clairvaux on a provided by Hugues Vitry available terrain in the woods as the first daughter house of Clairvaux Abbey Primary. Seconded from Clairvaux monks laid the marshy terrain of the waters of the Bruxenelle dry. The number of monks was to 130 The chronicler Alberic of Trois -Fontaines was around 1250 a monk in the monastery. Monastery Trois -Fontaines founded numerous daughter monasteries, so Convent of La Chalade in the Argonne Forest in Lorraine, Orval Abbey in the Luxembourg Ardennes, Monastery Haute -Fontaine in Saint- Dizier, Monastery Cheminon, Monastery Châtillon and monastery Monthiers -en- Argonne, and in what was then Hungary Szentgotthárd monastery and convent Belin Studenac ( Bélakut, Belafons ), the latter in today's Vojvodina in Serbia. It had the Gran Gien Villers -en- Lieu in Saint- Dizier, Vitry -en- Perthois, Wassy, Vic -sur- seille at Château- Salins ( with saline), Saint- Dizier and Gueux near Reims, on two grains of Gien in the near the monastery and also a blacksmith in Wassy. The secluded location in the forest kept the convent from destruction. But in 1536 it fell into coming. Between 1716 and 1741 it was the benefice, the Cardinal Pierre Guérin de Tencin rebuilt, after a fire in 1703 had parts of the buildings, including the Konversenhaus destroyed. 1790, the plant was sold and the outbuildings were demolished for building materials.
Buildings and plant
From the reconstruction in the 18th century comes the monumental portal with concave facade, which has four Monumentalpilaster with Corinthian capitals and a terrace balustradenbegrenzte bears. After a Court of Honor is followed by another coat of arms decorated gate, on a building in the style of Louis XV built .. From the 1160-1190, originally about 70 m long and 40 m wide at the transept church imposing ruins are obtained in the form of a Latin cross. The portal is surmounted by three large round-arched windows. Get the lower end of the large rose window, which almost filled the entire facade width. The first three bays of the nave are considerably wider than the other. The vault of the first yoke is disposed of, the ribbed vault of the following three yokes are obtained, however, and rest on powerful consoles in the height of the vault approach. The vaults of the following three yokes are collapsed in the 19th century. The aisles have transverse pointed barrel and are separated by large pointed arches from the nave. Between 1785 and 1789, the danger of collapsing rectangular choir and transept with three rectangular chapels on both sides were replaced by a semicircle degree in the height of the transept. The ensemble is classified as a monument historique since 1944.