Tsleil-Waututh First Nation
The Burrard or Tsleil - Waututh Nation is a Canadian First Nation, who lives on Burrard Inlet, the North Vancouver and West Vancouver separated. It belongs to the family of languages of the Salish, more precisely the Hul'qumi'num dialect of the coastal Salish.
Their traditional territory encompassed more than 1,900 km ². The tribe had in January 2010, exactly 449 state-accredited members, of whom 179 lived outside the reserve, 230 inside and 40 more in other reserves.
The oral history of Tseil - Waututh reported by over 10,000 people before contact with Europeans. The " seasonal round ", ie hikes during the year consisted of a comprehensive cycle composed of food gathering, hunting and tied to particular locations spiritual and cultural activities and formed the core of Tsleil - Waututh culture.
In winter, the parishioners gathered in large villages, which usually lay in sheltered bays. The houses had roof gable were up to 30 m long and divided into individual family sections. In winter, the people ate largely of dried and stored foods that have been collected and preserved during the rest of the year. The winter activities consisted of wood carvings, weaving of blankets from the wool of mountain goats and from meetings and ceremonies, as well as trade and exchange activities.
In late spring the families distributed in storage on virtually all beaches and sheltered bays in the Tsleil - Waututh territory. Planks of the winter houses were transported in canoes to it to build smaller summer homes. These camps were the starting point for hunting, fishing and collecting excursions to places seasonally available resources. Some of these foods were eaten immediately, while others were processed for consumption in the winter and stored.
From mid-July to early August traveled both the most Tsleil - Waututh, as well as other coastal Salish groups on the Fraser River to catch the Sockeye, the most popular species of salmon, and dry. It was the time to visit other people, share news about relatives and to make connections. In the summer months, large quantities of various kinds of berries were collected and dried.
After the fall salmon season on the Fraser River was completed, the families in camps on the Indian, Capilano, Seymour and other rivers gathered to catch the pink and chum salmon. Most fish were dried for winter consumption. In December, the family returned with the collected throughout the year inventories back to their winter villages and the annual cycle began again.
Despite the large changes in their ancestral territory the members of the Tsleil - Waututh nation still exert a large number of traditional activities. A stated goal is their involvement in planning and development processes so that the once rich resources return, will be protected and used on a permanent basis.
- See a history of the coastal Salish
22 archaeological sites in the area of Nuth Khaw Yum Say recently established Heritage Park / Indian Arm Provincial Park provide clues to the pre-European history of the region, but research is still in its infancy. The studies have focused on the former village Inlailawatush at the mouth of Indian River, and on the 25 km long coastline within the park. Here in completely overgrown village stone blades were found, but also the remains of piles. According to the food supply summer villages developed in the northern regions, the winters were spent in the milder areas. The Tsleil - Waututh assume that they live in this area for 10,000 years.
As captain of Alcalá Galiano on June 19, 1792 Burrard Inlet reached, he called Canal de Floridablanca. A few days later George Vancouver reached the area and named it after his friend Sir Harry Burrard.
1859-1860 created the HMS Plumper an inclusion of the site and gave numerous points new name. 1862 bought John Morton, a potter from Yorkshire 550 Acres on Burrard Inlet, but was the local clay unsuitable. Therefore, he started together with his cousin Sam Brighouse and William Hailstone, to keep cows. On November 9, 1864, the first wooden cargo left the Burrard Inlet. It was sold to Australia. In the same year a telegraph station was opened. 1874 wrong here, the first stagecoach, a 1881 ferry service to Inlet was taken.
1877 the Indians an area of 37 acres has been allocated on the east side of the mouth of the Indian River, but up to 2,500 square feet of the area to Brittengham & Young Co. Ltd. was. from New Westminster sold for 10,000 Canadian dollars and timber worth 500 dollars. Today the reserve Burrard Inlet includes 3 exactly 108.2 ha, plus there are two small reservations of together 2.5 hectares.
The industrialization of the area began with Stamp 's Mill, a sawmill on the north end of today's Dunlevy Street. There also married the first Indian woman, Ada Young, a white man named Peter Plant. James A. Raymur took over in 1871, the work of Edward Stamp.
1870 originated in New Westminster, the first salmon cannery, while the Indians of the commercial fishing was banned soon. In contrast, accounted for nearly 2,000 Japanese fishermen, of which almost 6,000 in 1897 on the lower Fraser River were active, increasing competition. The Steveston Fishermen's Association representing their interests. 1899 about 300,000 boxes were sold with salmon alone at the lower Fraser. In July 1900, the fishermen went on strike against overfishing by Americans, while 400 soldiers have been contracted to protect the Japanese. Chinese men killed and dissected usually the fish, Indian and Japanese women cleaned the salmon and packed them into crates. The catch led by Japanese men, Europeans and Indians. About 200 workers managed 1,200 cases per day, so about 26,000 kg. Against them the Fraser River Salmon Canners Association was founded. Monopolization tendencies began in May 1902, when the British Columbia Packers Association bought up 42 fish factories.
1886 - 1913 John Rainy went to an area of 245 acres for gold and silver. Shortly after 1900 began the first large-scale loggers land. 1903-05 was the first hydroelectric power plant to supply electricity to Vancouver.
1908, the ferry service was included in the Indian Arm. 1910 bought Gustav Baron Konstantin von Alvensleben a started project since 1906 for tourists. He built the Wigwam Inn. Probably goes back to these activities, renamed the Northern Arm in Indian Arm. From Alvensleben but was expropriated during the First World War, the Custodian of Enemy Property, EJ Young, the company that exists today took over, but is operated by the Vancouver Yacht Club.
Say Nuth Khaw Yum The Heritage Park / Indian Arm Provincial Park is a cultural and natural park on the Indian Arm, the core of the traditional territory of the Tsleil - Waututh nation. In October 1996, British Columbia Premier Glen Clark announced the creation of 23 new provincial parks in the Lowlands, with a total area of 136,000 ha in 1997 an area of 6,821 ha at the Indian Inlet was placed under protection. The almost inaccessible area, which is primarily used by kayakers, and where steam boats drove up to Wigwam Inn at the end of the bay, was also felling area. The surrounding mountains rise to over 1,500 m and are in the winter under the snow up to 12 m. The more accessible areas have been cleared for the first time in 1800, but are now back in some 200 year old trees.
The protection status should save the last primeval forests ( Old growth ) by helicopter before the " heli -logging " of logging. Slipping logging roads ( at more than 60 locations ), deforestation (most recently at the Grand Creek ) in conjunction with heavy rainfall have the Indian Inlet severely damaged in many places. Then there was the over-exposure to boats and four-wheel drive vehicles, but also waste and sewage of campsites (especially on Twin Racoon and Iceland ) and farms, including the construction of houses near the shore, especially in the southern part of the Indian Arm. In addition, corridors ensured by power poles ( on the east ) and illegal trails to landslides, such as the Clementine Creek. 200 km of logging roads traversed the area, the camp at the lower Indian River employed in the 60s to 80s 100 lumberjack.
However, the Burrard were not initially in the development process of the park involved and there were no consultations. Nevertheless, you signed a contract for a co-management with the provincial government. In order to develop the park for ecotourism it took a hiking trail, the Don McPherson drove forward on your own.
On 26 November 2004 the chiefs of the Squamish, the Tsleil - Waututh First Nations, the Musqueam and Lil'wat bands signed a treaty which should secure them a greater participation in the Olympic Games in Vancouver in 2010.
On October 1, 2007 Burrard voted on the question from: " Do you agree with the leasing of lots 79-17-1, 79-17-2 and 79-17-3 Burrard Inlet Indian Reserve No. 3 to Takaya Development Limited Partnership by its partner Takaya Developments Ltd.. for a period of 99 years? " Of 132 participants voted 94 yes, 32 no, 2 votes were invalid. Thus, the vote was legally binding.
In February 2010, representatives of the tribe participated in the opening of the Winter Olympics in Vancouver.