Ujest (Polish Ujazd; 1936-45: Bischofstal ), is a city in the Polish province of Opole. The city is located about 45 kilometers southeast of Opole and 50 kilometers northwest of Katowice at the Klodnitz and the Gliwice Canal. Close to the border to Silesia and located between Kędzierzyn -Koźle and Pyskowice, the place belongs to the powiat Strzelecki and is the capital of the homonymous urban and rural community that is bilingual since 2006 (Polish and German ).
- 2.1 Coat of Arms
- 2.2 Town twinning
- 5.1 Literature
- 5.2 External links
- 5.3 footnotes
The first mention of circuitio iuxta Cozli as a possession of the bishops of Wroclaw is from the year 1155. 1222 gave Duke Casimir I the Breslau Bishop Lorenz permission to settle in the episcopal area of Ujest German. During the reign of Bishop Lorenz founded 1223 Neisser Vogt Ujest the city with the villages of Old Ujest, Niesdrowitz, Jarischau and cold water, was added in 1239 still Klutschau. This is also the oldest settlement activity demonstrable by the Diocese of Breslau at all.
The Ujester maintenance, such as the episcopal property was called the Duchy of Opole, was expanded by several villages, and the attempt of the Dukes to compete with the Episcopal colonization, failed soon, and the ducal Slawentzitz the city rights were revoked.
The Ujester halt was sold in 1443 from the Bishop's possession and has since held various noble houses, the castle built in 1580 Ujest and tags multiple times. 1535 a watercolor view of Ogest for travel pictures Count Palatine Ottheinrich was made. The former meaning Ujests illustrate the illustrated wooden Klodnitzbrücke, as well as protected by a city wall cityscape with castle and parish church.
1837 came the Ujester stop at the Prince of Hohenlohe- Öhringen that so its large landholdings at the Klodnitz and Birawka which already comprised Slawentzitz and Bitschin ( Bycina ), extended. 1861 Prince Hugo was awarded to Hohenlohe- Öhringen the title of Duke of Ujest. The Duchy comprised Ujest 1910 an area of 416 km ², this included three Entails ( Ujest, Slawentzitz and Bitschin ).
The city gained only ecclesiastical importance, economic and industrial boom of Upper Silesia went past her.
In the Upper Silesian plebiscite in 1921, which should decide on the further state affiliation of the country, nearly 90 percent were issued for remaining in Germany and 161 for an annexation to Poland in Ujest of 1545 votes cast, 1,384. Ujest remained in the Weimar Republic.
Until 1945 belonged Ujest, which was renamed on September 3, 1936 in Bischofstal at the district large Strehlitz.
After the Second World War it fell, burned to a large extent, as Ujazd to Poland. After the German population had been largely escaped or expelled, only 400 people lived in the city, which was settled in the wake of displaced persons from eastern Poland and Polish settlers. The reconstruction took place mainly at the ring with new buildings, in the side streets were able to partially preserve the historic structure. The Castle of the Prince of Hohenlohe- Öhringen was not rebuilt after its destruction and has since been a ruin.
Especially in the rural parts of the community, a strong German minority was able to maintain, the members according to the last census, in 2002 25.34 % Polish of the community population, further 12.48% described themselves as " Silesians ". Since 2006, the community is officially bilingual and led a 2008 bilingual place names. On 19 September 2009, the Polish- German place names in the community Ujest were erected.
The population of the city Ujest after the relevant territorial status (including Gutsbezirk; recent figures without Gmina ):
Coat of arms
The coat of arms of the city Ujest shows a red, held together by a golden crown prince crests, coat the inside of which is formed of a blue ermine a shield and flanked with one of two golden crooks, golden miter occupied.
This coat of arms is described as early as 1898 by Otto Hupp - but the original, proven since the 17th century coat of arms Ujests still showed no crests, coat, instead, on a blue background above the other two horizontally mirrored towers flanked by two golden crooks and outside two silver stars.
Both central crest motifs are reminiscent of the diocese of Breslau, which was founded and owned Ujest was long, the crests coat was added well after the advent of the title Duke of Ujest.
- August von Heyden headed until 1859 as chief representative mines in Ujester maintenance.
- Josef Treumann (1846 - about 1904 ), German - American journalist and author, was born in Ujest.
The urban and rural community Ujest include not only the eponymous capital, the town Ujest, eleven Soltysships ( sołectwo ). These include:
- Balzarowitz / Balcarzowice ( 1936-45: Schönwiese )
- Jarischau / Jaryszów
- Klutschau / Klucz ( 1936-45: Key Basic )
- Niesdrowitz / Niezdrowice ( 1936-45: Neubrücken )
- Nogowschütz / Nogowczyce ( 1936-45: Wangschütz )
- Olschowa / Olszowa ( 1936-45: alder bush )
- Schironowitz / Sieroniowice ( 1936-45: Green Heath OS)
- Old Ujest / Stary Ujazd ( 1936-45: Old Bischofstal )
- Cold water / Zimna Wódka
The Gmina but still includes other towns, such as Grzeboszowice ( Greboschowitz ) or Kolonia Jaryszów ( colony Jarischau ) that do not have the status of a hamlet ( sołectwo ).