Life and work
Ulla Hahn grew up in Monheim and started after her high-school diploma, a teaching office, which she broke off around 1964 to catch up on the second-chance education her high school diploma. She then studied German, sociology and history at the University of Cologne. Politically, the workers daughter engaged for a time in the German Communist Party ( DKP). After receiving her doctorate in 1978 on the thesis topic, the development trends in the West German and socialist literature of the sixties Ulla Hahn worked as a lecturer at the Universities of Hamburg, Oldenburg and Bremen, and later as a literary editor at Radio Bremen, before finally freelance writer was.
As a poet, she was not least known that she was encouraged early on by Marcel Reich -Ranicki, who published several poems of the hitherto almost unknown Ulla Hahn in the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ ) and positively -reviewed. In 1981 she published her first book of poems heart over head, which became one of the rare lyrical bestseller in Germany. For their further work of fiction - they published to date nine more volumes of poetry - it has been awarded several times. For the adored by her colleague Hilde Domin held in 1992 a highly regarded eulogy, as those were concerned with the Friedrich Hölderlin Prize.
At the University of Heidelberg took over Ulla Hahn 1994, poetry teaching. Their 2006 book of essays poet in the world. My writing and reading published Heidelberg lectures on poetics bribe FAZ " by their knowledge of European poetry and poetry - theory ". She made a name for himself as editor of several poetry anthologies, and for the work in 1943 lost in the extermination camp Auschwitz Jewish poet Gertrud Kolmar.
In 1991, she put her first novel before a man in the house, set in a Catholic town in the Rhineland. The focus is on the young goldsmith Maria. For years, humiliated by her lover, the sacristan and choir directors of the place, it is now looking a way to take revenge.
A success ( with a circulation of now 500,000 copies ) were faucet second novel The hidden word in which she tells the post-war period in the predominantly Catholic Rhineland from the perspective of a girl who escapes from the mental confines of his parents' home in the world of books and words. The book received the 2002 German Book Prize for Ulla Hahn, was filmed in winter 2006/ 2007 by Hermione Huntgeburth under the title hellion.
In autumn 2009, appeared as the second part of her trilogy about the life of the young heroine Hildegard Palm, departure, the continuation of the hidden word. On September 17, 2010 Ulla Hahn was awarded the Ida- Dehmel Literature Prize.
Today Hahn lives in Hamburg and has been married to Klaus von Dohnanyi. She is working on the third part of their trilogy, but first wants to publish another book of poetry.
After Ulla Hahn since 2012 the biennial award Ulla Hahn- author award the city of Monheim am Rhein is named.
With an open day the Ulla Hahn House was opened on March 9, 2013 at her parents' house in Monheim. The literature Dedicated to the development of children and youth culture with a focus on language and reading skills.
Hahn's poetry is distinguished by two features: " On the one hand the use traditierter forms, on the other hand, the ambiguity of the title".
The journalist Ulrich Greiner ruled: " Beautiful are these poems, but their beauty is restorative, namely present- away, past saved."
Ulla Hahn's poetry is generally the " poetry of the new subjectivity " counted.
- Heart over head ( 1981), ISBN 3-421-06073-8
- End of the game (1983 ), ISBN 3-421-06155-6
- Bonfires (1985 ), ISBN 3-421-06277-3
- Unheard close (1988) ( fact: " No more " ) ISBN 3-421-06310-9
- Love Poems (1993 ), ISBN 3-421-06655-8
- Epicurus's Garden ( 1995), ISBN 3-421-05009-0
- Galileo and two women (1997), ISBN 3-421-05073-2
- Figuratively speaking (1999, Audio Book ), ISBN 3-89584-728-3
- Süßapfel red ( 2003), ISBN 3-15-018249-2
- To open the World ( 2004), ISBN 3-421-05816-4
- Again words. German publishing house, Munich 2011, ISBN 978-3-421-04524-9.
- A man in the house [ Roman], DVA, Stuttgart 1991, ISBN 3-421-06603-5 ( paperback: dtv 12745, Munich 2000, ISBN 3-423-12745-7 ).
- The hidden word (2001), ISBN 3-423-13089- X
- Awakening ( 2009) ISBN 3-421-04263-2 (DVA Munich)
- Love species ( 2006), ISBN 3-421-05953-5
- Poet in the world. My writing and reading. Munich: German publishing house, 2006 ISBN 978-3-421-05951-2. . ( Essays, speeches, reviews, thoughts on writing and reading poetry and the role of the writer in society. )
- Datura - poems by women from three millennia. Reclam, Ditzingen 1995, ISBN 3-15-058841-3.
- Poems for the memory - to Inwendig - learning and memorization Saying. With an afterword by Klaus von Dohnanyi. German publishing house, Stuttgart, 11th edition 2001, ISBN 3-421-05147- X.
- In my tower in the Clouds - A Else Lasker-Schüler - Almanac. together with Hajo Jahn. Hammer, Wuppertal 2002, ISBN 3-87294-921-7.
- Voices in the canon - German poems. Reclam, Ditzingen 2003, ISBN 3-15-010536-6.