Umkirch is a municipality in the district of Breisgau in the Black Forest in Baden- Württemberg.
- 3.1 municipal
- 3.2 administration
- 3.3 Town twinning
- 5.1 Structures
- 5.2 Natural Monuments
- 6.1 Sons and daughters of the town
- 6.2 Connected to Umkirch
Umkirch is located approximately eight kilometers west of Freiburg im Breisgau in the Upper Rhine Plain.
To Umkirch Umkirch the village and farm and mill roof cheeks include (roof Wanger mill). Within the area are the disposed villages Rendel Husen and Betlinshusen.
In addition to the city of Freiburg in the east and south borders Umkirch on the north by the municipality of March and on the west by god home.
At the site of the castle roof Wanger mill was formerly roof cheeks.
Proven already settled in Roman times, the place in 1087 is first mentioned. The name is then Untkilicha, Latin Ecclesia in Undis ( Church in the waves ), and is believed to play the position of the Church on an island between two streams. Until the transition of the Breisgau in the Grand Duchy of Baden, the bishops of Basel had the right of patronage of the parish church Umkircher.
On 20 December 2007, the local bypass Umkirch the federal highway 31 was released after a long wait by the former Government Minister Sven von Ungern -Sternberg for traffic. The opening of the continuing construction of the B - 31 West to Gottheim followed on 7 September, 2012.
The municipal election held on 7 June 2009 resulted in a turnout of 52.5 % (2004: 52.7 %) to the following result:
* Changes to the municipal election 2004 1 Independent Citizens' List Umkirch; 2 FDP Umkirch
With the neighboring municipality of March, there is a Gemeindeverwaltungsverband "March - Umkirch " with its headquarters in March.
Umkirch is twinned since 1989 with the municipality of Bruges in the French department of Gironde.
Economy and infrastructure
- About the directly adjoining Umkirch Federal Highway 31 is a road access to the motorway and 5 to Freiburg, the city center can be reached by car in less than 15 minutes. The public bus service also provides a connection to Freiburg, also overnight buses.
- Among the local companies include the Welte vehicle, TRUMPF Medizin Systeme GmbH Co. KG and the company Gerriets GmbH, a global leader for stage equipment.
- A village's own primary and secondary school with a library and two kindergartens provide initial training. Secondary schools are available in a wide width in neighboring Freiburg. Training opportunities provides the community college Umkirch.
- As a recreational options, the indoor swimming pool or cycling and inline -way round to offer to the community. In addition, several sports clubs provide opportunities to play sports.
- In Umkirch there is a Catholic church, which belongs to God Seelsorgeeinheit home, and an evangelical church in the Evangelical Church district Breisgau in the Black Forest.
Culture and sights
- The Romanesque parish church of the Assumption dates from the second half of the 11th century and is therefore considered as the oldest parish church of the Breisgau. In the 14th century it was rebuilt in the Gothic style. Its present baroque appearance dates from 1760 to 1765. The side altars are by Johann Caspar Brenzinger.
- The Hohenzollern castle with park is privately owned and is not publicly available.
- Büningen Castle, originally derived from the medieval moated castle was rebuilt after being destroyed by fire during the Thirty Years' War in the years 1663 to 1669 and again used after renovation and redevelopment since 2005 as the town hall.
- The castle mill was restored in 2005 and is now used as a museum of local history.
The Queen Augusta Victoria Park (former Fulwell Park ) at Hohenzollern castle with an area of 11 hectares was awarded the European garden culture - creation price. It is not accessible to the public.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Prince Friedrich Wilhelm of Hohenzollern (1924-2010), former head of the House of Hohenzollern -Sigmaringen
- Ferfried Prince of Hohenzollern ( born 1943 ), former race car driver
- Prince Leopold of Bavaria ( b. 1943 ), former race car driver
Connected to Umkirch
- Cécile Verny (born 1969 ), jazz singer Cécile Verny Quartet frontwoman of the, lives in Umkirch.