Unterkatz lies in the valley of the Katz Abachs that belongs to the catchment area of the river Werra.
For the first time the church was mentioned in the year 874 as Katza. It was the center of the 852 mentioned Mark Katz, who formed the core and basis of the center court Friedelhausen and 1350 with the Office of the sand was identical.
The first written mention is dated April 22, 1261. The place was in the hen bergischen Official sand, which belonged to the Duchy of Saxe-Meiningen from 1680.
The colonization of the surrounding area began much earlier, for an old trail from Solz after Oberkatz and Aschenhausen was probably a prerequisite for a burial mound on the top of head. It's Early Iron Age burials. Even in the Bronze Age and later was nachbestattet. The long tradition of burials suggests also a place of worship.
Unterkatz 1611-1665 was affected by witch hunts: Four women got into witchcraft and burned.
The local council of Unterkatz is composed of six council members:
- CDU: 4 seats
- SV Fortuna Unterkatz: 2 seats
(As at municipal election on June 7, 2009)
The honorary mayor Irmgard Knipping (SV Fortuna Unterkatz ) was elected on June 6, 2010.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Cunegonde Kirchner ( -1619 ), mother of many children, burned in a witch trial.