Utiel is a city in the comarca of La Plana de Utiel- Requena, in the Valencian Community in Spain. It has 12,311 inhabitants ( 1 January 2013). The inhabitants are called Utiels (Spanish ) utielanos / as.
Utiel is known for viticulture through the countless vineyards of the DO Utiel -Requena.
Utiel is located in the west of the province of Valencia 720 m above sea level. NN, about 80 km west of Valencia. The city lies on the River Magro.
Results of the municipal election in 2011:
- PP: 9 seats
- PSOE: 6 seats
- Utiel Siglo XXI: 1 seat
- IU: 1 seat
Mayor is José Luis Ramírez Ortiz (PP).
- France Pertuis, France
Sons and daughters of the town
- Leonardo de Figueroa (* 1650, † 1730), architect
- Elías García Martínez ( * 1858, † 1934), painter
- José García Berlanga - Pardo (* 1886, † 1952), lawyer and politician
- José Martínez Ortiz ( * 1918, † 2009), writer and historian
- Antonio Cañizares Llovera ( b. 1945 ), Archbishop and Cardinal