Valfabbrica, also written VALFABBRICA, is a municipality with 3453 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) in the province of Perugia in the Umbria region of Italy.


The municipality covers 92 km ². The municipality is situated approximately 20 km north-east of Perugia on the rivers Chiascio, Rio Grande and Rio della Bionda. The municipality is located in the climatic classification of Italian communities in the zone D, GR 2084 / G.

The municipality has the following districts:

  • Casacastalda, a hamlet about 8 km northeast of the capital, is situated at 521 meters above sea level and has about 650 inhabitants.
  • Giomici district, is located at 567 meters above sea level and has about 10 inhabitants.
  • Monteverde district, which was formerly known as Monte Aldone, located at 563 meters above sea level and has about 50 residents.

The neighboring municipalities are Assisi, Gualdo Cattaneo, Gubbio, Nocera Umbra and Perugia.


The place was built by the monastery Monastero di Santa Maria in Vado Benedettino Fabrice around the 9th century. Louis the Pious had the castle in Valfabbrica for the protection of the convent building. In the conflict between Guelphs and Ghibellines was the place in 1202 at the Guelph Assisi, which competed against Perugia and were defeated at Strada Colle. Three years later, the city of Perugia was destroyed. From 1497 to 1632 the town was under the Counts of Gubbio, after which it became part of the Papal States. The current boundaries were established to Assisi on April 8, 1728. By the Napoleonic occupation of the site was a separate municipality and was Casacastalda district, the district Giomici came in 1929 from Gubbio to the municipality to do so.


  • Castello di Giomici castle from the 11th century in the district Giomici.
  • Castello di Valfabbrica, castle in the center of the main town.
  • Chiesa di Monte Verde, church in the district of Monte Verde.
  • Chiesa di San Michele Arcangelo church in the district Giomici, contains a fresco by Matteo da Gualdo ( di Pietro di Giovanni di Ser Bernardo from Gualdo Cattaneo, 1435-1507 ).
  • Chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta church in the district Casacastalda from the 10th century, was transformed in 1883, and includes the work of Matteo da Gualdo.
  • Santuario della Madonna dell'Olmo, Sanctuary in the district Casacastalda, was built in 1486 and contains frescoes by Matteo da Gualdo.

Community partnerships

Sons and daughters of the town