Valmontone is a city in the province of Rome in the Italian region Latium, 15,120 inhabitants (as of 31 December 2012). It is located 38 km east of Rome.


Valmontone lies in the valley of the Sacco, between the Alban Hills and the Prenestini.


The place to have been founded Alba Longa and is likely related to the ancient Labicum identical. Labicum was destroyed during the collapse of the Roman Empire and re- erected on the more easily -defended hill above the Sacco, who gave it its current name.

Vallis Montonis was first mentioned in 1139. 1208 gave Pope Innocent III. the location of his brother Riccardo Conti, Count of Sora making a heyday for Valmontone began. In the 16th century the place was looted twice. 1634 acquired Camillo Pamphili, the nephew of Innocent X Valmontone as the center of his principality. However, his plan to rebuild the place for an ideal Baroque city was realized not much more than the Palazzo Doria Pamphili and the adjacent church of La Collegiate. 1843 gave Gregory XVI. the place a city charter.

During World War II Valmontone was the advance of the Allies, without the need for a military base was bombed and almost completely destroyed. Only the massive Palazzo Doria Pamphili could withstand and spent the next years accommodation for almost the entire local population.


Source: ISTAT


Angelo Angelucci ( Margherita ) was elected in May 2007 to the mayor. His Rainbow List ( Lista Civica Arcobaleno per il Futuro ) also with 13 of 20 seats, the majority in the City Council.


  • The Palazzo Doria Pamphili powerful with its 365 rooms already dominates the town from afar. He was equipped 1654-1670 by Mattia de Rossi, a pupil Bernini, built and decorated with frescoes by numerous artists. Although the restoration is not yet complete, it is home to more recently a branch of the Roman La Sapienza University. It should also be seen in the palace an archeological museum and a photo exhibition on Valmontone in World War II.
  • The church of La Collegiate Assumption is right next to the palace. It was also constructed by de Rossi 1685-1689 and is reminiscent of S. Agnese in Agnone in Rome.


End of June, the Sagra della Lumaca, Feast of the screw instead.