The municipality covers 40 km ². It is located about 30 km east of Perugia. It lies on the Subasio, the river Topino and on the Via Flaminia.
The districts include Balciano, Capranica, Casatommaso, Collebudino, Franchillo, Fondia, Gallano, Giove, Pasano, Poggio, Ponte Rio, Santa Cristina, Sasso and Vallemare.
Its history begins with the construction of the Via Flaminia in the 3rd century BC, emerged as the first settlements on the mountain Subasio. In 1235 the municipality was about twice as large as it is today and was under Spoleto, albeit with a certain autonomy. Former main village was the Castello del Poggio was ruled in the area now called Poggio, where known, the resulting around the 10th century castle community of the area, Universitas Vallis Tupini et Villae Balciani to 1867. After today's main town formerly called Cerqua was the establishment of the railway line from Ancona Romnach seat of the municipal administration and the place took on the new, related to the river name. 1282 subjugated the Assisi to seek protection from Foligno, but was in 1300 thanks to the efforts of Pope Boniface VIII independent again. 1383 Viscount of Topinotals by Corrado Trinci of Foligno was deposed, who ruled the town until his own deposition in 1439. Under him arose in 1434 the statutes of the place that were in effect until 1816. From 1927 to 1947, Valtopina district of Foligno, then independent municipality.
- Castello di Gallano, built in the 12th century castle in the village of Gallano.
- Castello di Poggio, built in the 11th century castle in the village of Poggio.
- Castello di Serra, around the 11th century castle was built.
- Chiesa San Pietro Apostolo church.
- Chiesa di Santa Cristina, the eldest, mentioned already in the 12th century church. Contains frescoes from the 15th century.
- Ponte Rio, medieval bridge over the river Topino ruin.
- Villa rustica romana, Roman villa, v. between the first century BC or AD was the second.
- Salles- sur -l'Hers, Aude, Languedoc- Roussillon, France