Velburg is a city in the Upper Palatinate district of Neumarkt in der Oberpfalz.
- 2.1 Amalgamations
- 3.1 Mayor
- 3.2 City Council
- 3.3 Coat of Arms
- 5.1 geotopes
- 5.2 Natural Monuments
- 5.3 Recreational facilities
- 5.4 Regular events
Velburg is located at about 500 m height halfway between Nuremberg and Regensburg Upper Palatinate Jura. The old town was built on the western slope of the castle hill.
The municipality has 49 Velburg officially named districts:
- Joy directional
- Mill goers
- Holler Stetten
- Mantlach at Velburg
- Easter mill
- Saint Colomann
- Sankt Wolfgang
- Schaller mill
- Under Wiesacker
- Bird Brunn
The village Altenveldorf was the precursor of the city Velburg settlement, which was created 1231-1285. The former castle Velburg was the starting point for the new foundation. The exact origin of the castle is in the dark, the first time it was called 1129. Lords of the castle were to 1217 the counts of Velburg, including the Austrian line of the Counts of Clamm ( Lords of Perg and Machland ). Then there was 1271-1452 for changing rule over the castle and the settlement area of Velburg.
1410 The market was Velburg city rights; at this time may have begun the construction of the fortification. Of the original 13 towers of the ramparts are only two, the north tower and the so-called Kapsenturm. 1394 for the first time a schoolmaster in Velburg was mentioned. 1410 led to the first great fire in Velburg.
1505 Velburg was assigned to the newly formed Principality of Pfalz- Neuburg. Two years later, the Knight Georg Wispeck received for his services Velburg as a gift. 1540, 1553 and 1574 there was a further three large fires. the plague raged in Velburg three times, in 1564, 1574 and 1586th
In 1574, the gender of the Wispeck died out and Velburg reverted to Pfalz- Neuburg. In the same year, the first parish was founded, until then, had Velburg belongs to the parish Oberweiling. The original single-nave parish church was probably built in the 15th century. It was in 1520 extended to a northern aisle and rebuilt from 1717 to 1721 by the cultivation of the southern aisle in a three-nave church. In 1713 it came to the last outbreak of plague in Velburg.
1803 was a revenue official ( later tax office ) and 1807 /08 Joseph Ziegler opened the first pharmacy in Velburg. In 1808 it came to the re-division of the circles in Bavaria, which were named after rivers. Velburg part of the rain circle, named after the river rain. 1838, the county was renamed rain in Regierungsbezirk Oberpfalz. A letter and driving postal service was set up in 1851 and 1862 got Velburg a district office. To rebuild the town hall there was 1863-1865 and following the Survey Office was built in 1866. 18 years after its establishment, the district office was disbanded in 1880. The King Otto stalactite cave was discovered in 1895.
1907 a local telephone network and a nurses' home was established in 1921. In 1929, the Survey Office, 1932, the Inland Revenue ( revenue official ) was dissolved.
With the dissolution of the district Parsberg Velburg was taken on July 1, 1972 in the enlarged district of Neumarkt in der Oberpfalz.
On October 1, 1970, therefore only formally independent municipalities Geroldsee, Griffenwang, Lutzmann stone and Pielenhofen were the abgesiedelten in 1951 and incorporated. On April 1, 1971, added Reichertswinn. Deusmauer, Lengenfeld, Mantlach in Velburg, Oberweiling and Prönsdorf area and parts of Ronsolden followed on 1 January 1972. Territory parts of the disbanded community Ransbach were added on July 1, 1972.
The city grew by the incorporations on a total area of 176 km ² with a population of 4200.
On May 1, 1978 Günching and parts of the disbanded community Oberwiesenacker were eventually incorporated.
- First Mayor: Bernhard Kraus ( CSU)
- Deputy Mayor: Clement Meyer ( CSU)
- Third Mayor: Bernhard Dürr (CSU )
Allocation of seats in the City Council:
- CSU 12 seats
- Free selector 6 seats
- SPD 1 seat
- Green 1 seat
(As at municipal election 2008)
Coat of arms
Blazon: In a gold resist sighted, silver crowned red lion.
The coat of arms has been known since the 14th century and was modified in 1969.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Xavier Strauss ( * May 29, 1910 ), SS -Hauptsturmführer and Head of Site Management in Mauthausen concentration camp
- Pink viewfinder ( * February 23, 1849, † April 16, 1927 ), a dramatic soprano
- Richard Paul Wagner ( born August 25, 1882 in Berlin, † February 14, 1953 in Velburg ), "Father of the unit steam locomotive"
Culture and sights
Town center of Velburg
St John the Baptist
Sanctuary of St. Wolfgang
- Ruins of Castle Velburg
- Ruins of castle mountain Help
- Ruins of castle ruins castle nobility at Holler Stetten
- Sanctuary Habsberg Mary Health of the Sick
- Parish Church of St. Mary's birth in Oberweiling
- Parish Church of St. John Baptist, three-nave church was built whose oldest member in the 13th century.
- Sanctuary of St. Wolfgang, late Gothic church and formerly important pilgrimage of the Regensburg diocese Holy St. Wolfgang
- Sanctuary of the Sacred Heart (1770/1792) with Hermitage, the only Sacred Heart Sanctuary in Bavaria
See also: List of monuments in Velburg
The hollow hole
Hollow hole mountain
The municipal area of Velburg are seven by the Bavarian State Office for Environmental designated geological sites.
- The King Otto stalactite cave near St. Colomann ( 373H001 )
- The The hollow hole at St. Wolfgang ( 373H002 )
- The Hohenberg cave west Velburg ( 373H005 )
- The Mantlacher sinkhole ( 373R001 )
- The Mushroom Rocks west of St. Colomann ( 373R002 )
- The hollow hole mountain in Velburg ( 373R003 )
- The Dolomite at the castle hill of ruins Velburg ( 373R004 )
See also: List of geological sites in the district of Neumarkt in der Oberpfalz
- King Otto stalactite cave with the advent hall, open to the public from April 1 to October 31.
- Hollow hole is a Grotten-/Höhlen-Komplex. In the largest grotto parties and celebrations take place.
- Natural pool in Altenveldorf
- Adventure world with climbing in Saint Colomann (6 different courses, one Bambini obstacle course )
- On Shrove Sunday, the traditional carnival parade takes place in Velburg.
- The street festival is annually held in late July early August.