Velpke is a municipality in the district of Helmstedt in Lower Saxony ( Germany ). The community Velpke is a member municipality and seat of Samtgemeinde Velpke.
- 2.1 Amalgamations
- 3.1 municipal
- 3.2 Mayor
- 4.1 churches
- 4.2 Natural Monuments
- 4.3 sculptor symposia
- 4.4 memorial foreign children - care facility
- 4.5 Sports
- 5.1 Velpker sandstone
- 5.2 Tourism
- 5.3 traffic
Velpke lies between the Elm- Lappwald and Drömling and about ten kilometers east of the city of Wolfsburg.
The quarters are:
- Wahrstedt ( with Büstedt )
1160 was the first written record of the village as Vilebeke. About Velpke ran a post route in the 18th and 19th centuries. For the development of the postal system, see: postal route Brunswick- Calvörde.
At the cemetery in Velpke recalls a bronze plaque at 76 Polish and 15 Russian children of laborers. They were housed in the alien child care facility ( Velpke ). The leaders in the Nazi party bodies had still not clear whether they wanted to let the children survive. It appearances actual infant nursing homes has been awakened, and meets the other, the unspoken purpose to let the unwanted children die quickly.
On 1 July 1972, the municipalities Meinkot and Wahrstedt were incorporated.
- SPD: 8
- Green: 2
- CDU: 5
The municipal council is the local representation of the people of the community Velpke. The awarding of the 15 seats decided by the citizens every five years by universal, direct, free, equal and secret elections.
Since 2008, Hans -Jürgen Kleinert (SPD ) honorary mayor.
Culture and sights
The Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Andrew is located on the market square, its church belongs to the provost Vorsfelde. In the districts Meinkot and Wahrstedt are the Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Lawrence and St. Peter.
Called The Catholic Church Immaculate Conception of Mary, colloquially also briefly St. Mary, was built in 1927-29 on the Oebisfelder road. Today, the church belongs to the parish of St. Michael in Wolfsburg.
In the " Velpker Switzerland ", an area with numerous flooded quarries, one finds traces of prehistoric earth's history. On a sandstone plateau deep grooves of glaciers can be seen.
In the 1980s and in 1996 and 1998 found in the Velpker quarries sculpture symposia with the participation of internationally recognized sculptor instead. In the three weeks of symposia created works of art from Velpker sandstone. The symposia organized by the Kunstverein Velpke in cooperation with the company Steinmetz C. Körner Natursteinwerk GmbH Velpke. Some of the stone art works are exhibited in Velpke and theater Park in Bad Helmstedt - Brunnental.
Memorial foreign children - care facility
From 1 May to 14 December 1944 so-called alien child care facility was in a quarry, the so-called Wetzsteinkuhlen, a death camp for children of foreign forced laborers operated. On the Velpker Cemetery 76 Polish and 15 Soviet children are buried. As a reminder was placed in the cemetery of Velpke at the place of children's graves, a memorial with bronze plaques.
The Velpker sports club from 1928 eV, with almost 1,000 members and 13 branches of the largest sports club in the integrated municipality.
Economy and infrastructure
Of great importance to the place were the nearby quarries of Velpker sandstone. The quarries were founded in 1630 by master mason Michael Körner. The Stonemason dominated the place and 1930 were divided into three companies in 1000 masons and stonemasons counted. Today there are no more quarry plants in operation and quarries between Danndorf and Velpke are flooded.
By Velpker Switzerland leads a discovery trail of the Geopark of the open air and experience the museum Ostfalen ( FEMO ).
In Velpke intersect the federal highways 244, which runs from Helmstedt to Wittingen, and 188 ( Wolfsburg -Stendal ). Since December 6, 2010, a built north of Velpke on the B 188 bypass to relieve traffic in Velpke.
From 1902 to 1975 consisted rail connection through the railway Schandelah - Oebisfelde.