Vicovaro is a municipality in the province of Rome in the Italian region Latium, located about 4062 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012). The town is located 46 km northeast of Rome.
Vicovaro located on the edge of the Lucretili in the valley of Aniene. It is a member of the Comunità Montana Valle Aniene.
The place was an outpost of the Aequians who came early under the dominion of the Romans. He lay on the Via Varia, from which it takes its name, Vicus Variae ( village on the Varia ). In 500 the monastery of SS Cosma e Damiano (now San Cosimato ) founded, in which St. Benedict was for a time Abbot before he founded his own monastery at Subiaco. In the 12th century Vicovaro came to the Orsini family. They sold it in 1672 to the Bolognetti. A century later it came to the Cenci.
Giovanni Sirini (civic list Sviluppo Futuro by Vicovaro ) was elected in June 2009 for the mayor. He replaced Thomas Christian Cedric (center -left ) (since 2004), who did not run.
- Two kilometers before the town is the monastery of San Cosimato, which dates back to the 5th century.
- From 1693 Sebastiano Cipriano built around the medieval castle of the Orsini Palazzo Cenci - Bolognetti.
- The parish church of San Pietro was built in 1743 by Girolamo theodolites on behalf of Cardinal Mario Bolognetti.
- The octagonal chapel of San Giacomo Maggiore, 1454 - built in 1465 by Domenico di Giovanni Dalmata and Koper, shows a curious mixture of Gothic and Renaissance styles. Especially the portal with its rich sculptural decoration is remarkable. Shown are saints but also members of the Orsini family.
- To the former church of San Sabino a medieval quarter is very well preserved.
In September, the Sagra della Pagnotta Vicovarese, feast of bread instead.