Vila Franca de Xira
Template: Infobox Municipio / Maintenance / Administration Name is empty
Template: Infobox Municipio / maintenance / management address is empty
Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / card is empty
Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / Height is empty Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / Postal Code is empty Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / mayor is empty
Vila Franca de Xira is a Portuguese city in the district of Lisbon and is located about 35 km northeast of Lisbon on the west bank of the Tagus. Vila Franca de Xira is known for its bullfighting tradition.
Finds, including pottery and tombs, evidence of a settlement from the late Neolithic period. The present town was probably made in the course of re- settlements during the Reconquista, possibly by French followers of the first Portuguese king D.Afonso Henriques. First City rights were granted Povos at Vila Franca de Xira 1195 by King D.Sancho I. 1206 Alhandra received municipal rights by the Bishop of Lisbon, D.Soeiro. 1212 received city rights Cira, which was performed as Vila Franca de Xira since the 14th century. King D.Manuel I. renewed the city rights of Vila Franca de Xira, Povos and Castanheira in the year 1510.
1810 was General Wellington erect fortifications here, as part of its line of defense lines of Torres Vedras against the Napoleonic invasions. After the Liberal Revolution 1822 Vila Franca 1823 starting point of a coup, the absolutist pretender D.Miguel led against the new liberal constitution of his brother D.Pedro. The place was then in Vila Franca da Restauração (German: Vila Franca restoration ) renamed, until the defeat of the survey in the following year and the back naming the place. 1855, existing since the Middle Ages circles Alverca, the 1837 resolution Castanheira, Alhandra, the 1836 resolution Povos were (now a town in the municipality of Vila Franca de Xira ) summarized and Vila Franca de Xira to the present county. With the annexation of the communities Vialonga ( with resolution 1886 of the circle Olivais ) and Santa Iria de Azóia (1926 ) was the current size of the circle Vila Franca de Xira.
After already in 1729 the first industrial tannery in the country was opened here, began with the opening of the railway line Lisbon Carregado 1856 further industrial development Vila Franca. 1892 took two textile factories in Alhandras their work on, and 1894, António Teófilo de Araújo Rato here a cement factory, from which today's Cimpor was born. With the further increasing industrialization of the district, particularly since the 1950s, its population grew. On June 28, 1984, the former Vila ( Town ) Vila Franca de Xira was raised to the Cidade (City), but retained its name with.
Vila Franca de Xira is the administrative seat of the homonymous district ( concelho ) in the District of Lisbon. June 30, 2011 had the circle 136 510 inhabitants in an area of 317.7 km ².
The following municipalities ( Freguesias ) lying in circle Vila Franca de Xira:
- Alverca do Ribatejo
- Castanheira do Ribatejo
- Forte da Casa
- Póvoa de Santa Iria
- São João dos Montes
- Vila Franca de Xira
- Ascension of Christ
- France France: Villejuif (since 1981)
- Cape Verde Cape Verde: Santa Catarina, Santiago Island (since 1987)
A variety of industrial and commercial enterprises are located in the district of Vila Franca, including the main work of the world's tenth largest cement producer Cimpor. The beverage producer Central Cervejas e Bedidas, which is among other things the market leader with the beer brand Sagres, is headquartered in the municipality Violonga.
A railway connection by connecting to the Linha do Norte, which represents the most important route in the country with the connection between Lisbon and Porto. Vila Franca de Xira is also integrated into the national bus network of speech Expressos.
The place is just off the A1 motorway, which runs from Lisbon to Porto. The nearby A10 motorway can be reached in an east-west direction the cities Benavente and Alverca do Ribatejo.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Afonso de Albuquerque (1453-1515), sailor, second governor of Portuguese India
- Brás de Albuquerque (1501-1581), entrepreneur and writer
- José da Costa e Silva (1747-1819), architect
- José Tomás de Sousa Martins (1843-1897), popular physician and university teacher
- Júlio Zeferino Schultz Xavier (1850-1939), naval officer and engineer
- Miguel Esguelha (1878-1938), politician
- Redol Alves (1911-1969), writer
- António Dias Lourenço (1915-2010), member of the Portuguese Communist party, editor of the Avante!
- Igrejas Caeiro (1917-2012), actor and journalist, socialist politician
- Alberto Franco Nogueira (1918-1993), politician and diplomat, foreign minister of the Estado Novo regime
- Baptista Pereira (1921-1984), float
- Pato (1925-1999), politician, communist presidential candidate in 1976
- António José Forte (1931-1988), writer and journalist, surrealist poet
- Álvaro Guerra (1936-2002), writer, politician and diplomat
- Rogério Ceitil ( b. 1937 ), director
- José Carlos da Silva José ( b. 1941 ), football national player
- Maria da Luz Rosinha (* 1948), politician
- António Moreira Antunes ( born 1953 ), cartoonist
- António Ribeiro Telles (* 1963), bullfighter (tab )
- Maria João Luís (born 1964 ), actress
- Fernanda Câncio (* 1964), journalist
- Paulo Brissos (born 1970 ), musician
- Rogério Matias ( born 1974 ), football player
- Bruno Alexandre Santos patacas ( b. 1977 ), football player
- Albano Jerónimo (* 1979), actor
- Luís Miguel Assunção Joaquim ( b. 1979 ), football player
- Ultra Psycho ( João Filipe Pedro Ruivo, born 1980 ), wrestler
- Miguel Domingues ( b. 1982 ), TV presenter
- Euripedes Amoreirinha ( born 1984 ), football player
- Tiago Filipe Figueiras Gomes ( born 1985 ), football player
- Vera Barbosa (* 1989), track and field athlete
- Ivan Cavaleiro (* 1993), football player
- Rafael Ferreira Silva ( * 1993), football player