Villarvolard ( Freiburg Patois Velâvolâ? / I ) until 31 December 2010, a municipality in the canton of Fribourg Greyerzbezirk in Switzerland. On 1 January 2011 merged with Villarvolard Corbières.
Villarvolard is located at 732 m above sea level. Level, 5 km north-east of the district main town cop (air line). The village covers a wide terrain terrace on the eastern shore of the lake Lac de la Gruyère, in the trough of Bulle in the Gruyère region at the northern edge of the Alps.
The area of 5.5 km ² large area ( with Seeanteil approximately 6.0 km ²) comprises a portion of the basin of Bulle in the Fribourg foothills of the Alps. In the West Villarvolard has a small share of the Lac de la Gruyère. From the relatively steep, wooded banks, the communal land extends eastward over the 1 km wide flat terrace of Villarvolard and the mostly densely forested slope down to the expiring of the Berra to the southwest ridge. The border runs to the east via the Mont BiFe ( 1'483 m above sea level. M. ) and the Vanil of the Cours ( 1,562 m above sea level with. M. the highest elevation of Villarvolard ). A small part of the area lies within the catchment area of the east of this ridge and achievements Javro. From the municipality surface 1997 4 % came from settlements, 44 % of forest and woody plants and 52% to agriculture.
To Villarvolard include some individual farms.
With 268 inhabitants ( 31 December 2010) Villarvolard was one of the small communities of the Canton of Fribourg. Of the 94.4 % inhabitants are French-speaking, German-speaking 3.7 % and 0.5 % in English (as of 2000). The population of Villarvolard amounted in 1900 to 205 inhabitants. According to a population increase to 1920 (303 inhabitants) followed by 1970 due to strong migration, a decrease by more than 50 % to 142 inhabitants. Since then, a significant increase in population was recorded again.
Villarvolard was until the second half of the 20th century, mainly coined by farming village. Even today, animal husbandry and dairying have an important role in the economic structure of the population. Some other jobs are in the local small businesses and services available ( including a company that manufactures construction materials ). In recent decades, the village has developed into a residential community. Many employed persons are therefore commuters who Bulle and Fribourg work in the regions.
The former municipality is traffic-technically quite well developed. It lies on the main road from Freiburg to Broc. By bus Transports Publics Fribourgeois that on the lines from Freiburg to Jaun and from Bulle to Corbières, Villarvolard is connected to the public transport network.
The first written mention of the village was carried out in 1179 under the name Vilierbalart. Later, the names Vilar Vualar appeared Vollar Vilar ( 1228 ), Vilarwalar ( 1285), Villarwaular ( 1453) and Villar volard (1668 ). The place name is probably derived from personal names Walaharius in conjunction with the late Latin word villare (place, hamlet ).
Villarvolard been since the Middle Ages part of the Corbières rule, which was sold in 1553 by the Counts of Greyerz at Freiburg. Subsequently, the village was part of the Bailiwick of Corbières. After the collapse of the Ancien Régime (1798 ) Villarvolard belonged during the Helvetic Republic to the sub-prefecture Corbières, which was raised in 1803 in the status of a district. 1848, the village of Corbières was incorporated in the district of Gruyère.
From Villarvolard came repond Catherine, who was executed for witchcraft in 1731 in Freiburg.
The present parish church of Villarvolard was constructed in 1760 on the site of an earlier temple built in the 12th century. 1892, the church was extended and restored. Villarvolard has a picturesque townscape with typical farmhouses from the 17th to 19th centuries, including the House Passaplan of 1777.